Author Topic: NP3 coating?  (Read 14250 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
NP3 coating?
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:04:48 AM »
I tend to spend my day getting sprayed w. various corrosive substances.  As such, my pup has some rust issues - a small spec was in the bore, once, but mainly, it's the mag floor plates.  

Between that, and that my grip tape has finally come off after several years of daily carry, I've been thinking about having it checkered, and coated.  

Has anyone tried robar?  Any other suggestions?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: NP3 coating?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Robar, does now do their finish on the R9s. Rohrbaugh has a model with that finish from the factory. Also I believe Corey and some others have sent their R9s to them for finish work. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:33:38 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
Thank you for the links -- looks like I might just get the mags coated.  (The main rust problem has been the floorplate of the mag.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:41:22 AM »
I learned, from Richard, of a product called Ballistol.  Great stuff.  May work and save you from the coating process.

http://www.ballistol.ca/Ballistol/Pages/Ballistol_Index01.htm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:55:21 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
It works great on my P7 -- I just haven't had much luck w. finding something which coats bare stainless.  (I think part of the problem could be that I get exposed to CIP chemicals at work, which are meant to attack stainless.  I've been tempted to try our "non-sticK" which we pump through the system to neutralize the caustic, and create a non-stick, non-corroding surface on the stainless.  It's supposed to increase the nickel concentration on the surface layer -- presumably by eating away the other components.)

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »
Robar has a new NP3 PLUS finish now. Pricing comes out in February. The PLUS finish provides better corrosion protection than the regular NP3 finish.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:21:15 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 01:59:55 AM »
An anodized mag extension will take care of that problem.  ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
Robar states that the new NP3 finish is only needed if you suba dive with your pistol.  Tom

Offline Nomad

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
To what depth can we use the robars reliably when we are scuba diving???? I didn't realize I will be able to use my robar for underwater protection at scuba depths! They should highlight this feature on the website!

And are there any special holsters you guys reccommend for this submariner concealed carrying?  ;)

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
The new NP3 PLUS coating is the same price as the old NP3 finish. Robar is offering a 15% discount as well. Makes sense to get the PLUS finish even if you do not plan to scuba dive   ::)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »
I do agree.  If the price is the same, why wouldn't you want the best?   :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 11:30:01 PM »

From June through August in Houston we start the dive when we open the front door.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »
tracker, you are right on, Houston, sweat city! ::)   Tom

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »