Author Topic: Glad I got a Rohrbaugh  (Read 12652 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Glad I got a Rohrbaugh
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
I'm sure S&W will iron out the recall problems with the Shield, not so sure of the XD-S, and the Caracal-C looks like it cannot be fixed.  I've read of people having problems with their Pico and Solo and DB-9s.  More than just a couple of owner's with problems.

It looks like the 3 sub-compact pistols that work well are the Rohrbaugh R9, The Kahr PM9/CM9 and the Boberg XR9-S.

My R9 continues to eat and spit out Gold Dots and Ranger T Series with no problem.  I'm really glad I bought it.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Re: Glad I got a Rohrbaugh
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:02:34 AM »
It would be nice if Crimson trace ever made a laser for it and Sneaky Pete a Holster.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »
My R9 is my everyday, go in the pocket protector.  I also have an xds-.45 that has gone home to visit it's parents.  I mainly used it for "those times when I didn't want to sweat on my R9."
If I was going out in the rain, going fishing, working on the farm, hiking, biking, etc. I would carry it instead of my "dress R9." It has been away for a while now, and I miss it.
I have called the factory, and they told me that it is now going to be another 6 weeks or so to get it back.  I also will need to take it out and run a couple hundred rounds through it to make sure it is reliable, again.   

Does anyone else show preferential treatment to their Rohrbaugh, and substitute something else for certain situations?
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »

Does anyone else show preferential treatment to their Rohrbaugh, and substitute something else for certain situations?

Just as you, my R9 is my EDC. However, when working in the shop in 90-100 degree heat wearing lightweight shorts, I switch to the Kel-Tec.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
I think the Solo may have turned the corner on problems.  So glad you didn't mention the Sig 938.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline guidob2222

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:21:48 AM »
I love my R9! I have searched years for the perfect edc pistol and finally found it in my R9. I carry mine everywhere regardless of weather, attire, or occasion. It's so hard to find that perfect balance of compact size to be comfortable to carry all day, firepower, quality. It's the only gun I carry.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
I love my R9! I have searched years for the perfect edc pistol and finally found it in my R9. I carry mine everywhere regardless of weather, attire, or occasion. It's so hard to find that perfect balance of compact size to be comfortable to carry all day, firepower, quality. It's the only gun I carry.

I could not agree more. They are worth every penny.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »
A $700 gun that needs fixing, and tuning, becomes expensive. I needed a 'Carry gun' that went 'bang, bang, bang', and not 'bang, bang, click'.

Anyway my Sig 232 needed 200 to 400 rounds for break-in, it needed two factory trips, so I went out and bought a $360 S&W - the lesson here is a $500 gun can be a $1,000 in repairs, ammo, shipping, range, and buying a 'back up gun'. The R380 and R9s are worth it if they are hassle free - my guess is call the factory, and find out the 'Best ammo'.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
As the late and legendary Jim Cirillo wrote to Karl and Eric:  "Your Rohrbaugh (R9) 9mm is the greatest backup gun in the world."

And for a good read, check out "Jim Cirillo's Tales of the Stakeout Squad" by Paul Kirchner:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
I have shown the R9 preferential treatment, I've left it home when it's been raining.  And I've been tempted not to take it with me jogging because the finish is wearing a little bit from jogging with it in my 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch.

I have an HK P7M8 which has been the most reliable pistol imaginable - not one problem with her from out of the box in 1985 till now and I trust her more than I trust anything, but I baby her even more than the R9.

That's one thing I like about Glock - they're like shovels, I don't worry about the finish coming off my shovel when I'm digging a hole.  Unfortunately Herr Glock is too occupied with his new nurse wife to care about making pistols and they don't have anything close to the Rohrbaugh R9.  The die hard Glock fan boys swear the G26 is a pocket pistol, but it's not.  If I got a Kahr CM9 I probably wouldn't be as emotionally attached to it as I am to the R9.  I've also been thinking about getting a Kel-Tec P-32 to sub for the R9 in inclement weather.  The P-32 is cheap, light weight and nothing to get attached to.

But ya, I do talk myself into carrying the R9 sometimes - I tell myself it's a tool not a museum piece, and I when I'm tempted to leave the R9 at home I tell myself "this will be the day you get jacked and you'll either end up dead or you'll kick yourself  every day for the rest of your life for leaving your gun behind because you were afraid it might get a spot of rust."

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »
Between this thread and the (many) others regarding reliability problems, you guys are convincing me not to get an R9 for EDC, for when it comes to personal safety IMO Practical beats Pretty every day (and twice on Sunday)!

;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
Speaking for myself, after 9-1/2 years of using my R9 for EDC and running more rounds through it than I remember without a malfunction, I believe it has proven its practicality.  All it requires is regular maintenance according to the factory's recommendations.  However, I must admit, it doesn't hurt anything that I also find it to be "easy on the eyes."     8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »
Between this thread and the (many) others regarding reliability problems, you guys are convincing me not to get an R9 for EDC

I don't know what in this thread brought into question the reliability of the R9.  Mine has been 100% reliable with Gold Dots, Lawman and Winchester Ranger "T" Series - RA9T (which is my EDC ammo).

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 02:14:57 AM »
Between this thread and the (many) others regarding reliability problems, you guys are convincing me not to get an R9 for EDC, for when it comes to personal safety IMO Practical beats Pretty every day (and twice on Sunday)!

;)

Reliability?

I have 3 std models and a Stealth. All have run every type/brand of available ammo Flawlesslessly-except for frangible(never tried it). They are all in different holsters, which determine which one(s) I grab according to dress.

I stake my life on either/and each one everyday.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:16:39 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
I have owned several R9s over the years new, used and customized and have not had one issue.
Keep them clean, change the recoil spring as recommended and run quality ammo through them and they will provide many years of service.
I only use 115 grain Speer GDs.