Author Topic: Glad I got a Rohrbaugh  (Read 12596 times)

Offline MaxBlack

Re: Glad I got a Rohrbaugh
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »
It (truly) was not my intent to incite the members here. I'm glad you guys love your Rohrbaughs. :-X

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
Max:

No problem. We Rohrbaugh fans are accustomed to hearing skepticism -- and accustomed to welcoming "converts" to the "fold." 

Give one a try.  I predict you'll like it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »

What Richard said; I didn't take your comments as inflammatory or negative either because you apparently haven't experienced the pride of R9 ownership. Just try one and get back to us.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 03:06:30 AM »
I did not mean to come across defensive. Just stating fact(s).  :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »
I just have to add that I touched a used Covert and fell in love. But I'm new to "carry" and semi-autos in general and need first & foremost a firearm that I can trust with minimal regard for testing, at least at this time (range time is VERY hard to come by where I live).

I will likely keep watching Rohrbaugh developments (and following this board) and if given the oppty would love one as a BUG. They are very cool indeed.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »

Many of us here bought the R9 sight unseen or untested in 2004 and have been happy campers. As with anything that is mechanical or has moving parts there will be a minority with problems that are far more vocal than the larger group of satisfied owners. Only you can know when it is time to pull the trigger on an R9. If you decide to purchase one I recommend that you buy it new.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 12:02:20 AM »
Max- regardless of what you get, if you will be carrying it, then testing is a must. After all, lives are at stake here. My personal litmus test for any carry weapon is a minimum of 200 rounds of the carry ammo fault free. Any hic-up what so ever in that count, then we start all over at square one. 

Other members here as well as fine trainers have similar tests/counts as well, but may differ some according to taste.

Just because you pick a larger, big name gun, doesn't mean it Will go bang every time.

Just ask Skunk about his Sig.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:07:22 AM by Reinz »

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
Max- regardless of what you get, if you will be carrying it, then testing is a must.
Yeah I know this. My wife and I have recently put hundreds of rounds through both her LCP and my P89 (not a carry pistol!) which included lotsa ammo from various mfrs given the low availability earlier in the year.

The Good News is in a small way also the Bad News which is that every single triggerpull resulted in a loud bang, even from the Wal-mart Tulammo I felt forced to buy for her .380 when nothing else was available.

I know this is WAY OFF TOPIC but I do wonder how one learns about the mysterious (to us anyway) acronyms FTF and FTE not to mention Stovepipes.

No I don't want to spend $1200 on a Rohrbaugh and then get some cheap ammo for it to learn about these things! (Sorry, really bad joke to put in this thread/forum especially!).

Kidding (Ducks head)!!!!  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:25:23 AM by MaxBlack »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 08:44:36 PM »
Well, I'd like to know that answer as well[/img]

It seems to me the proper way is if the author explains himself as he goes so we all have a meeting of the minds, especially since FTF can mean (failure to fire) OR, (failure  to feed).

Experts and hobbyists should realize that neophytes may be reading their work, and should clarify all acronyms.

My apologies if I'm guilty  ;D

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
I've heard the British call it Failure to Ignite and I've taken to saying that, but you really can't abbreviate it since no one knows what FTI is, at least not in the U.S.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:16 AM »
Failure to Ignite (FTI).  I like that! 

Unfortunately, I do believe that would cause more confusion with Americans than status quo (FTF/FTF, Fail to Fire/Fail to Feed).

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
My personal Rohrbaugh has run flawlessly with every brand and type of ammo i've tried, except for Hornady critical defense.
I had multiple failures to ignite per magazine load.  The primers were dented, but no pow.
I looked it up on the infonet and found that they are known for hard primers.  I now save those for my Glocks.
Every time I shoot the Rohrbaugh, I start with the loaded magazines with the carry Gold Dots, and then switch to whatever other cheaper stuff I have with me.
I am continually impressed with the accuracy and quality of the little gun.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
I love mine too, I just shot it again when I took the Sig out for the first time. I now have 96 round through her and zero issues with the gold dots.

I too bought mine before ever holding one, glad I did too!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »
I've had 3...sold one stupidly, kept the other two.  The only one that caused me grief was the Covert, which of course was a factory version sent to a well-known gun maker for tuning and a hard finish.  It had multiple FTF (feed) issues which turned out to be caused by an out-of-spec firing pin retainer that was brushing the edge of the slide, thus slowing the slide on recoil.  Karl fixed it for me and I now carry it every day, with never a problem with Gold Dots, although at the range it seems to eat every type of reasonably decent ammo that I offer it.  My handle does the R9 injustice since it is now not "backup" but instead my EDC.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis