Author Topic: Kahr MK40  (Read 3745 times)

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
Kahr MK40
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
Anybody either own one or shot one?  I'd be interested in your impressions of it.  I bought a Kahr PM9 for my wife a year ago, and it shoots remarkably well for its size, and we haven't had any failures of any kind so far after about 500 rounds.  I've read various comments about some past issues with Kahr polymer frame pistols, but perhaps these issues have been solved in recent years, as we've had zero issues with hers.

Back to the MK40, which is an all-stainless steel pistol.  I like really like its small size (for a .40), and am giving some thought to getting one as a belt holster "first line" complement to my R9S in the pocket.  They appear to be very well made and finished.  One downsize is it's pretty heavy for its size, which may not be such a bad thing given it's chambered for .40 S&W.  The other downside is it only has 5+1 capacity (6+1 with the extended mag), but that's the inevitable tradeoff for a slender micro .40.

I already have a Sig P229 .40 and an H&K P7 PSP 9mm as my 2 other primary CCW, but they're hard to hide in warm weather.  The R9S has forever secured its role as my EDC pistol, maintaining a permanent place in my pocket, and will be relegated to my sole CCW from time to time, whenever circumstances don't permit easy concealment of the larger pistols.  Since I'm a firm believer a guy can't have too many guns, I was thinking maybe there's a place for the little Kahr in the belt rotation.

What do you guys think?
Ted

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Kahr MK40
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »
Howdy Ted, I have mostly heard positive things about the Kahrs.  And I just love the Kahr "Metals" except for one thing, they are just too darn heavy for "Me".  And I am just not a drastic plastic kind of a guy, even though their polymer frames do feel good in the hand.

Being a gun addict, I'm sure I will break down and buy one or the other; or both, sooner or later.  After all, I have come pretty darn close a time or two.  :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
I have a P380, a PM9, and a P40 and all are very good pistols.  The P40 was the last one I bought to use as a "Belt Gun" where the other two were for pocket carry.  I chose the P40 over the MK40 because of the extra round and it is alot lighter.  It depends on personal chose, but the extra size hasn't been a problem for me and I like the extra round.  On the other side, I really do not think the extra weight would be a problem for me either.

I really believe which ever way you chose you will be getting a good pistol.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
I really like Kahrs, but I will caution about ammo sensitivity with some models.  PM40 will not reliably feed HST, but works well with Hornady bullets.  P45will feed pretty much everything except Hornady bullets.  I think I would like to swap out the PM40s for an MK40 Elite some day in the future, but realize I will lose the possibility of pocket carry (due to weight) and need to go IWB.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
I had a P380 and a PM40 and both would shoot anything I put in and never a failure of any kind.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
T-Man,

I had a MK40 and really liked how it shot, very accurate and fed everything. It was just a little to heavy for its size so I sold it and bought a PM40. I HATED the PM40! The recoil caused a blister on my trigger finger. I think it got pinched or rubbed where the trigger hinges in the frame. I sold this gun after I bought my Robar R9.

I like Sig's too. I like the new P224 but I am waiting for spring/summer 2013 when the DA/SA trigger version comes out. I would not buy the DAK trigger. Just don't care much for it.

Good Luck!
 Robar233

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »

25.4 oz. with mag doesn't work for me for pocket carry on the P224. I own several Sigs and like them very much but don't see one in the future.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
I'm dying to get my hands on a 224 DAK in 357 Sig.

T-Man,

I had a MK40 and really liked how it shot, very accurate and fed everything. It was just a little to heavy for its size so I sold it and bought a PM40. I HATED the PM40! The recoil caused a blister on my trigger finger. I think it got pinched or rubbed where the trigger hinges in the frame. I sold this gun after I bought my Robar R9.

I like Sig's too. I like the new P224 but I am waiting for spring/summer 2013 when the DA/SA trigger version comes out. I would not buy the DAK trigger. Just don't care much for it.

Good Luck!
 Robar233
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »
A part of me was kinda hoping you guys would say "no, don't do it; it's a POS!" so I wouldn't be tempted to spend the $... but it's evident you're all a bunch of enablers who suffer from the same sickness I do! ;D

I do wish the MK40 was a few oz lighter, but it is all stainless steel, and I wouldn't be pocket carrying it. 

Dammit, you're gonna talk me into buying it yet!
Ted