Author Topic: Seeking M1A advise  (Read 2625 times)

Offline 75scout

Seeking M1A advise
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »
I have spent a long time trying to figure out what should be my first centerfire rifle. I looked at many FALs, AKs, AR-15s, AR-10s, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Mini-14s, newer .223 black rifles like the FS2000, XCR, and Sig 556. In the end I have decided on a Springfield Armory M1A. I’m looking at the Socom 16 or maybe the Scout Squad. Its use is for fun at the range, maybe some hog hunting/deer hunting, and maybe some tactical carbine courses. Plus its always good to have a rifle around just incase the SHTF. 308 should be easy enough to find in that situation. And who knows when and if a ban on semi-auto rifles will occur.

I plan so drop the Socom 16 into a Sage EBR chassis. I just can’t get the inmage of this out of my head and have loved it since I first saw one. I don’t need it, but I am tired of settling for anything less than what I consider to be exactly what I want when it comes to guns. If I have to wait and save then that’s what I’ll do. I also plan to add an Aimpoint and maybe a 3x magnifier.

So here are my questions. What is the accuracy difference at 100 yards between the Socom 16 and Scout Squad (take into account that the Sage EBR is equal to having the rifle bedded). Now that the Socom has been out so long should I be concerned about reliability issues? And does anyone have experience with the Sage EBR chassis? Is the pistol grip comfortable? Is the trigger reach too long? And would you rather have the Sage EBR chassis that uses a Tango Down AR grip and VLTOR stock? I like the AR style stock, but I am concerned that if I ever want to add a scope that I won’t be able to get a good cheek weld.  I'm also unsure that the AR stock can hold up over the years to the recoil of the 308, while the standard EBR stock is made of all metal.

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Seeking M1A advise
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:16:57 PM »
I think you have your mind made up but I have got to put in my two cents on this.  I have owned an M1A.  The FN-FAL is far superior in every way to the M1A.  Please reconsider your choice.  I don't currently own an FN-FAL either.  My SHTF rifle is a Mini 30 with a scout mounted 2X Aimpoint.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
This reminds me of the 9mm vs .45 debate. No solution because they both have advantages and faults. The trigger on the M1a is one of the best ever put into a MBR. The FAL has better ergonomics. In the end, it's the man NOT the gun. And nothing can take the place of practice.

The accuracy difference between the 16" and the 18" barrel wouldn't be significant at 100 yards, but you'd certainly see the bullet drop more by 400 - 600 yards.

BTW: If you're getting a .308, be aware that cheap surplus ammo is a thing of the past. Buy as much as you can, as soon as you can. The UN got "all" the nations to agree to stop selling milsurp ammo into the civilian market. At the same time, the price of metals has jumped (= the $ has fallen) so the new mfg ammo prices are climbing too.

And, my SHTF rifle is a Chinese SKS that uses AK mags.

I call it "a Connecticut AK" because 7.62x39 AK-type are prohibited in the Constitution State!

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
I had a Scout Squad and it was a fine and very accurate 308. But compared to my Armalite AR10A4 carbine the Armalite is ,IMO, better in terms of recoil, erconomics, and accurracy at greater distances. Also the Armalite AR type platform offers a better freehand hold, for me, resulting in better accuracy from a standing position. It is also much easier to clean and keep clean. :)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.