Author Topic: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick"  (Read 31852 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: The Aluminum Chop Stick
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 10:51:57 AM »
RJ wrote:
Our fellow member Richard_S has one now, he will be here soon, I'm sure, with his opinion on the little "Stick"

I am currently travelling with my wife and won't be returning to home base until the end of the week.  I'm told that a package from RJ was delivered to the house in my absence.  That has to be the "Stop Stick."  I'll try it out and report back as soon as I get home.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 10:54:41 AM »
RS9Carry

You inspired me !  But, as more of a "Outback" And "Long Horn" type,  I had to do something...   :D ;D
RJ=

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 11:34:44 AM »
I found that one of my allen wrenches fit perfectly in the R9 to allow for the pin removal.  I forget what size.  I'll have to check on that and post it.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
The Aluminum Chop Stick
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 01:14:30 PM »
I made three of these little Tools myself, in my little shop and they were a pain,  being so small.  So I made a dimensioned drawing and took it to a Machine Shop that was equipped for this sort of thing..  

I only ordered  50 made, if they go quickly,  I wiill order more..  

>>I'm convinced - count me in for one...assuming your street addie is on your web site I will dig it up and send you a money order ASAP.  

One of the things I like about your design is the fact it has four sides, which makes for a secure fitting...whereas mine is round and can roll around a bit when put in place.  Hmmm...so WHY haven't I made a PVC version with sides...?...!...lol...!!  Toys for the boys - gotta love it.

Again - good work on the design of this baby...!...TW<<

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 01:47:23 PM »
The Machine Shop called,  They are ready now..

RJ=

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »
RJ,

Could you please set one aside for me?

I sent you a PM.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 02:28:22 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick&
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 08:26:55 AM »
My wife and I returned to home base last night and the package from RJ containing the "Stop Stick" was waiting among the items of accumulated mail.  This thing really works!  It's one of those concepts (such as RJ's back-pocket design for holsters) which make you wonder, "Why didn't I think of that?"  For those of you who own LWS .32s, the "Stop Stick" serves much the same function for field stripping the Rohrbaugh as the spent .32 ACP casing does for the Seecamp.

As much as I like the "Stop Stick," my little wife likes it even more.  She will no longer have to serve as my "third hand" when I need to clean my R9s.  

Congratulations, RJ, and thank you!  My check's in the mail.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 12:15:45 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2005, 10:39:39 AM »
I'm thinking of making a few STOP STICK's from some soft brass stock,  if I can find the stock locally.
 Any interest?  

« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 02:24:28 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2005, 11:32:05 AM »
Hi RJ,
Brass would be of interest to me.
Dave

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2005, 11:47:19 AM »
I am not all that familiar with the various brass alloys available but the ones we use at work to dig things out of crome plated molds are pretty soft.  I would think whatever material used for the brass punches out there would work.  Are they hardened after forming maybe?

For now I'll stick with the plastic toothbrush handle I use....it's shaped almost exactly like RJ's alluminum stick.

A side note...I haven't found the channel lock pliers necessary for guide reinstall.  I just compress it by hand with both thumbs behind the rear end and both index and if needed middle fingers holding the end cap...just drops in.  Picture your thumbs together, index fingers together and forming a diamond, squeeze, push into the front slide hole and drop in against the barrel lug..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 11:49:40 AM by logical »

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2005, 12:52:22 PM »
Hi RJ,
    Better put me down for a "Stop Stick, a right front pocket holster and mag pouch. Kind of like brown more than black ." Wouldn't mind brass if you have it for the stop stick.
PM me and tell me how much for all and I'll send you out a money order.
Keep up the great work.

Best,
Mike
doubletapMike

Offline TW

• Grand Master
The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick"
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2005, 02:35:36 PM »
>>I received my aluminum RJ Stop Stick - very nice...!  I have yet to use it, but I am sure it will function fine.  I could be interested in a brass version, but need to wait until I get my next allowance.  Meanwhile, I plan to make a Stop Stick based on RJ's form and made out of PVC rod.  When I get around to doing it, I will post a pic with comments...this right after I edit ~100 pics I took of Eric doing the R9 breakdown/maintenance stuff at the last PA shoot.  Just not enough time in the day - lol.  Boys and their toys - ain't it great...?...!!...TW<<

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2005, 02:51:04 PM »
RJ,
    I would like to try a brass one also if you do so..I sent for 2 of the alum. ones. :)

I have a thought (Lots of work for you though :o) of a very small "case" for the stop sticks,and a punch.. ::)

I had bought my Father an "ivory" toothpick and case that it slid into with the upper part remaining out..I thought it was a great present as the old man always had a Tpick around.
 Of course he had it in his pocket to please his 7 yr. old son,never used it but,ya know.. ;D

A case of that nature would keep those items together and look good along the R9..

I know RJ,You have too much work to keep up with now.. :o

Never hurts to ask though.. ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2005, 04:10:26 PM »
TW - keep me in the loop woncha re those pics?  Once you have some progress then maybe we can get to stage where I can add this material to the FAQ site.

But yeah - time - never enough to do the things we want! ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2005, 01:11:46 AM »
I would be very interested in a brass stop stick. As to aluminum, aluminum oxide is harder than steel, and I'd worry about wear. But, on the other hand, I've used aluminum cleaning rods for years without ill effect. So that tells you what I know.