Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 5788 times)

Offline spider445

First Impressions
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
Well took out the new toy this afternoon my Stealth R9S, this will be my new primary CCW.  Second round didn't ignite, but the remaining 39 went off without a hitch.  Using WW white box 115 grain ball for my 40 round HR-218 qual.  I must admit that this pistol recoils less than my Boberg XR9, but isn't as accurate.  It also carries with greater comfort that the Boberg in the appendix position. 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »
Spider, glad that it went bang after a bad second round...WWB is perhaps not the preferred ammo. For the R9...IMO the best practice ammo is Speer Lawman 124 although I have a bunch of 115 Lawman that also works just fine.  The Pup tends to be pretty ammo sensitive.  Don't forget to tighten your grip screws after every 20 rounds or so.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 07:44:08 AM »
Well took out the new toy this afternoon my Stealth R9S, this will be my new primary CCW.  Second round didn't ignite, but the remaining 39 went off without a hitch.  Using WW white box 115 grain ball for my 40 round HR-218 qual.  I must admit that this pistol recoils less than my Boberg XR9, but isn't as accurate. It also carries with greater comfort that the Boberg in the appendix position.

I too have found the Boberg to be more accurate than the R9, but the recoil of my Boberg is a lot less than the R9 with the same ammo in my testing.

Take them both out together and see if it is still true.

Offline spider445

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 09:32:31 AM »
Have tons of WW white box so I have to burn this up first since I can't run it in my Boberg. Thanks for the grip screw tip. 

Recoil did seem less to me vs the Boberg.  Might be that the Boberg has a different feel due to the rotating barrel system and has a twisting motion.  Having read numerous post regarding recoil from the R9, I was expecting something a little different, but after shooting and carrying a Scandium 340 PD and shooting 125 grain 357 rounds from it, it's pretty tame.  Going to try a slow course of fire at the range next time I'm out to test the accuracy of the R9, it was doing exceptionally well at 1, 3 and 5 yards but 15 and 25 opened it up but still remained in the 5 area. 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:01:34 AM »
Comparing the R9 to the Boberg is apples to oranges.  Eric will confirm that the original R9 concept had no sights because the pistol was, and is, meant to be a close range "belly gun" used at bad breath distances.  I would agree that my Bobergs have less felt recoil and better sights than the R9, but is is also a different pistol, more powerful (+P), one more round, but larger also, in fact, only a bit lighter and smaller than my Kimber Ultra CDPII in .45.  Depending on clothing choices, either of those can front pocket carry (my preference), but for pocket, IWB, OWB, nothing compares to the comfort and concealability of the R9; as with all highly developed predators, it is specifically adapted for its one and only purpose.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »
Comparing the R9 to the Boberg is apples to oranges.  Eric will confirm that the original R9 concept had no sights because the pistol was, and is, meant to be a close range "belly gun" used at bad breath distances.  I would agree that my Bobergs have less felt recoil and better sights than the R9, but is is also a different pistol, more powerful (+P), one more round, but larger also, in fact, only a bit lighter and smaller than my Kimber Ultra CDPII in .45.  Depending on clothing choices, either of those can front pocket carry (my preference), but for pocket, IWB, OWB, nothing compares to the comfort and concealability of the R9; as with all highly developed predators, it is specifically adapted for its one and only purpose.

Bravo Sir. . . . Bra-Vo. . . . . Well stated. Or as someone else once said about something:  It is what it is. (lol)

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.