Author Topic: What have I done?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Amacro

What have I done?
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:55:42 PM »
Recently bought a gently used R9S stealth I've fired it about 3-4 times with no problems, well I went to the range today and for some reason that is beyond my explanation the pup "locked" up can't pull the slide back except for 1/2 inch or so I know it's not loaded and until this happened it seemed to be just fine. Any tips or ideas of what may have happened?
Thank's in advance guys
Al

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
Re: What have I done?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
When you say you've fired it 3-4 times, do you mean you've taken it out to the range 3-4 times or there have been 3-4 rounds spent?

Have you cleaned it?   Reassembled properly?  Have problems with reassembly?

I don't have the answer; but I suspect somebody here will chip in.  These questions may help us.

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »
What ammo were you using?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
First, what is the lube situation?  Was it lubed?

Next thought, I remember a similar situation a member had; the firing pin stop was just a tad out of spec and had shifted which caused a lock up.  Required a trip to the factory.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Amacro

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
I suspect Reinz is correct, I've taken the pup to the range 3-4 times and put approximately 50 rounds or so through it, I've been meticulous with lube cleaning after each trip and of course reassembly. I did now thinking back have what I thought were light strikes ie the hammer went back on a round and nothing then another strike and bang!  So I suspect it is the firing pin. I'm not a gun smith and know enough to get myself in trouble lol. So I guess I'll call Maria on Monday I was thinking about getting a warranty check/certificate anyway - sound correct? :'(
Al

Offline Amacro

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:22:22 PM »
PS I was using JHP 124 grain Speer gold dots

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:37:07 AM »
Let's back up a second.

When you say the slide pulls back 1/2 inch.  Will it spring back forward at all....even with a little help?

Or is it stuck, locked up in that position, with the slide locked back 1/2 inch, will not move at all?

Offline Amacro

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »
The slide is in battery, when I attempt to rack slide it will move back 1/2 inch and on release it will return to normal position. I took the grips off to just look everything seems as it should and also the trigger mechanism seems intact ie dry firing is normal
Al

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »
Amarco:

I think Reinz has probably identified the problem. I have one last question, however. You say that the slide will retract 1/2 inch. That is about the amount of retraction required to expose the barrel pin for takedown of the pistol. Can you retract the slide enough to see and remove the barrel pin? If so you should be able to remove the pin and posibly remove the slide to see what is obstructing its travel.

Good luck, and please keep us informed. 
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
The firing pin retainer is out of speck in this picture...tilted and catching on the inside of the slide...created slowing of the slide with failure to feed, and could lock the slide.  If this is your problem, it will be the third or 4th I've Karl has dealt with in over 6000 guns...mine was a Covert, and whether this happened at Wilson Combat is uncertain.  Karl fixed it and it now works perfectly.  Good luck,
John

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Amacro

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
Unfortunately the slide will not retract back far enough for take down, yup my pup is going back to the factory and although it seems gently used not only will it get "fixed" lol, but I'll get the warranty check and certificate at the same time. Will keep all informed
Thanks Al

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
I had it narrowed down in my mind to you Backup and one other member with the Slide Stop issue.  I did not feel comfortable calling you out.  :)   I fiqured you would add to the discussion when you read this.

Thanks!