Author Topic: Information on model with "FDE" or "Coyote" slide  (Read 2265 times)

Offline AmmonsArms

• When you need to throw more than stones.
Information on model with "FDE" or "Coyote" slide
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:44:06 AM »
I have a strong appreciation for the work Karl and Eric did to create these very special pistols. I have many options for concealed carry, but the R9 platform is ALWAYS able to be a companion, regardless of what I am wearing. For me the R9 fulfills a role that is very important.
Now to the purpose of my post:
I would like more information on one of the Rohrbaugh pistols in my collection.
The slide is what is often called flat dark earth, desert tan, or something of the like. I think Rohrbaugh called it coyote. The serial number is R62xx.
I have replaced the grips with tan VZ grips to coordinate with the slide.
I am hoping Eric will be able to chime in with his great memory of production numbers and any bonus description of the decisions that went into making this color option.
Thank you gentlemen!
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shot Gun Insrtuctor
NRA Certified Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
Former Roll Player (bad guy) for US Government Tactical Training

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Information on model with "FDE" or "Coyote" slide
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:30:05 PM »
Hmmmm. . . . . . That R9 looks familiar, and definitely one of the last ones I put together. Did you buy that pistol as shown?
Perhaps the VZ Grips were added, but the black frame with the Coyote "Desert Tan" slide has my memory going.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:32:13 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 08:19:58 AM »

Great looking pistol!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 09:27:53 PM »
That is coming back to me now. Just before Remington Arms took possession of Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. on January 14, 2014, we had some prototype items around and we would assemble whatever we could to keep the pistols out there. This particular piece is a one-off R9 utilizing such pieces to make a complete pistol. The Cerakote slide, which I did all of those few Coyote frames and slides in-house, were not many in number. They were actually being used as prototype models and we only did a handful of those due to the extra time it took to “paint” the parts. It also added extra thickness, which then took us more time to hand lap with compounds to mate each part together. Very time-consuming so we discontinued those almost as soon as we offered them. The barrel and extractor finishes were done by Wilson Combat.

I forget which dealer we sent this R9 to, but I remember dealers were taking whatever model we were making at the time. It seemed the finish did not matter as much as simply getting one of those Rohrbaugh R9 Pistols to sell! They were a hot item at that time. We couldn’t make enough of them!

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »
AmmonsArms, you seem to have a rare bird on your hands.

Congratulations.

Offline AmmonsArms

• When you need to throw more than stones.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 08:57:13 PM »
Thank you Eric!

Yes, I did have the VZ grips added to compliment the color of the slide.

I have been blessed to have some great Rohrbaugh pistols. It has not been by accident that I have acquired these pistols. I deeply appreciate attention to detail.

I still have Eric AND Karl’s Robar/Rohrbaugh pistols that are really special. Eric’s pistol has many small parts that were hand sanded and then polished by a jeweler. You just don’t see craftsmanship like that today.

For me, having things that are historically significant and functional is the best!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:43:46 AM by AmmonsArms »
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shot Gun Insrtuctor
NRA Certified Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
Former Roll Player (bad guy) for US Government Tactical Training

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »
Thank you Eric!

Yes, I did have the CZ grips added to compliment the color of the slide.

I have been blessed to have some great Rohrbaugh pistols. It has not been by accident that I have acquired these pistols. I deeply appreciate attention to detail.

I still have Eric AND Karl’s Robar/Rohrbaugh pistols that are really special. Eric’s pistol has many small parts that were hand sanded and then polished by a jeweler. You just don’t see craftsmanship like that today.

For me, having things that are historically significant and functional is the best!

Nice to hear and Thank You Ammon.

Eric R.