Author Topic: Mag release when loaded 6+1  (Read 6704 times)

Offline CAB

Re: Mag release when loaded 6+1
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 05:20:37 PM »
Ed,

Please let us know, after a few more rounds, if the replacement of the magazine catch solved your problem. Thanks,

Brian

Offline KEENO

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2005, 12:10:37 AM »
KEENO Here again....

I finally got to shoot my freshly cleaned & Lubed (Super Lube) R9 again on Sunday.  I shot approx 40 rounds of Winchester Whitebox thru it with no Magazine Release related issues.  Good News....  But, nothing scientific!

This might seem far fetched, but I believe it might be a function of the lube thinning with repetative shots.  I experienced this issue after 75 flawless rounds had been fired thru the gun (without cleaning/relube).  It was the next 25 rounds where all of the Mag Releases occured.  

I purchased my gun in May of 2005 and after shooting it in the first session it was cleaned and relubed with another product besides Super Lube.  (No Super Lube literature was included with my early serial number gun...  Karl, later advised me of Super Lube in a phone call)  It was after shooting my R9 during the 2nd sesson (non-Super Lube) that I began to experience the Magazine Release issue.

CAB:  Your Mag Release Issues also came after you had cycled 70 rounds thru your Gun?  Coincidence??  (No 6+1 issues with mine....  It doesn't seem to make a difference for me)

The other variable is that I shot my R9 using Erich's Grip Technique vs. single handed, as I practice sometimes.  Maybe, the new grip technique has solved the problem!?!  I guess I need to go back and shoot some single handed to be certain.

In the end, I believe I'm just going to convince myself I'm satisfied and carry the little gem!  I'm beginning to become concerned about the noted wear from the SS Barrel as it "beds into" the Aluminum frame (above the takedown pin hole).  It's becoming more pronounced after putting 350+ rounds thru the "Pup" (as you Boys call Her!) :o

Maybe, I'll call Karl and ask his opinion of my Lube Thinning concept?

Any opinions or insight?

Thanks for all of the Help!

KEENO
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 12:25:14 AM by KEENO »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2005, 01:28:36 AM »
KEENO - I have said elsewhere and stick by it - the ''wear'' of frame under barrel is not IMO an issue to worry about as I see it myself as self-limiting.  This is not a stress area at all and is IMO due to ''bedding in'' effects due to tight tolerancing in design and manufacture.

''Lube thinning'' I cannot (as yet) see as an issue connecting to mag release issues.  I accept with use, friction even tho marginal and gun heat - some grease viscocity loss will occur - but not sure I see a relationship between that and the release itself.

Most obvious factor I notice with use beyond a coupla mags or three - is crud build-up and even then I am not sure I can link that to mag release issues.  I will give this more thought.  BTW 6+1 has not thus far on either R9 of mine seemed an issue.

BTW again - IIRC I think, I was the guilty party that labelled this gun a ''pup'' way back - just seemed apt :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline CAB

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2005, 01:53:38 PM »
Keeno,

Yes, it was on my second trip to the range that I experienced the amg releast problem, after about 80 rounds the first trip.  On the other hand, the first trip I never tired 6+1, so I need to clean it and go back to the range to experiment.  It might take a few weeks for me to get6 there, but I will report the results.  Thanks,

Brian