Author Topic: Beretta so series O/U Shotguns  (Read 6794 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Beretta so series O/U Shotguns
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »
Does anyone here have an so series shotgun? I think I have narrowed down my next purchase to one of these and was wondering if anyone can enlighten me to some of the differences between an so2, so3, so4, so5, so6 etc. It seems like you can find decent prices on used so3 eells and once in awhile an so5 eell.

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:29:34 PM by BlueC2 »
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Beretta so series O/U Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
Ryan:

I must say, you have superb taste in shotguns. I have never owned a Beretta SO Series shotgun, but I have (to borrow a word from a certain former president best left unnamed) "lusted in my heart" for one -- right up there with a set of matched Purdeys.   8)

[Edited typo. Just the thought of a pair of matched Purdeys brings on a case of the shakes.]  :o
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:57:09 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
Thanks Richard. I don't have one yet and will probably be saving up for a while before I spend that much on a gun. My goal is to buy something timeless that can get handed down through the family. I know there are much more exotic O/U shotguns but the beretta so series just seems to check all the boxes.

-Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:36 PM »
Those SO series shotguns are marvelous.  I personally do not own one, but have been lucky enough to bust a clay or two with one.  I was in the market for a nice, heirloom quality O/U, but price of the SO's I looked at were far beyond my capabilities.  I eventually settled down with a superb Browning Citori.  I've had cheaper O/U's before, decent shooters, (2 Mossberg Silver Reserves), and now I understand why the nicer one's cost what the do.  I've never shot a nicer O/U in my life, and could not be happier with my purchase.  I think I treasure that thing more than my SAA's, and that's saying something.  Good luck in your search and post pictures when you get it!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
If you're in the mood for a nice shotgun, try these out.  Will make a nice little family heirloom!!  I know they are side-by-sides and not O/U's, but who cares.

3 Shotguns - 5 Million Dollars - The Parker Invincibles

http://youtu.be/lQMcsqPvixA
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:53:15 PM »
Wow, I had no idea about those Parkers. Makes the SO seem like chump change. I wonder how long it took him to track down all three of them.
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »
Robert Peterson was a heck of a collector.  If you find yourself with an hour or two to kill, I'd highly recommend reading up on him.  He made his fortune in publishing which began with Hot Rod Magazine, and grew it to 32 magazines, and other forms of media.  He was a collector in the truest form, and basically with unlimited funds, got whatever he wanted.  If I understand history correctly, after he sold his publishing company for $450 million in the late 90's, he pretty much became a full time hunter / outdoorsman, and collector.  He had the best of the best, Colt Walker - his, Parker Invincibles - his, and even an 8 bore elephant gun which I saw on display and is mentioned in one of the videos below.  The list goes on and on.  His collection is made mostly of hunting, large game, and historical firearms.  There is a cool display showing some more the more odd and rare firearms he had.  I'm sure with his resources, they weren't terribly hard to find.  Rober Peterson donated his collection to the NRA museum.  I was lucky enough to visit it about 2 months after it opened and got to see some firearms that I would have never seen otherwise.  His collection is said to rival and surpass pretty much every private or museum collection on the planet with regards to firearm quality, historical significance, and rarity.  I'd highly recommend reading up on the Robert E. Peterson Gallery.  It is absolutely, unequivocally, the best collection I have ever seen (and they only display about 1/5 the entire collection) or much less read about.

http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/the-galleries/robert-e-petersen-gallery.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFbPY2Pdm8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlHLNqrO-Y

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:06:02 AM by thor447 »
- George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:52:05 AM »
Absolutely amazing;  breathtaking.  Thanks, Adam, for sharing this.  I'll be saving this for future use.  Man, what guns!

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln