Author Topic: The two new models  (Read 10579 times)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
The two new models
« on: September 05, 2005, 03:22:59 PM »
I guess there is a lot of excitement over the two new models that Karl and clan plan to introduce at the next SHOT show.

Like the rest of you, I can't wait.

But, what I would like to see is a Seecamp clone, without a mag safety, and built on a forged alloy frame. I have expressed this opinion on the NAA website as well.

I own a slew of pocket guns, including three Seecamps, two NAA Guardians, and a R9s. NAA is working on a lighter Guardian. Seecamp, well is Seecamp, their 380 is a jewel of a pistol. But I want more competition: I want to push the envelope.

I have faith in my Seecamps, Guardians, and Rohrbaugh. I have little faith in my KelTec 380. Look what happenned to the old 1911A1: the clone wars have generated pistols that are far superior to what was available just 10 years ago, and light years better than what was on the market in 1980.

What Rohrbaugh needs is a reasonably priced, high margin product to keep all of its high tech machines working 24/7. I can see two products in my mind: Two Seecamp 380 clones. One with a machined forged steel frame (that would weigh 2 ozs more than the original) and a 380 clone with a machined forged alloy frame (that would weigh maybe 2 ozs lighter than the Seecamp). Wholesale the first out at $425 with a retail price of $550, and the second with a wholesale price of $600 with a retail price of $800.

So what do you guys, and gals, think?

Offline alfonso2501

Re: The two new models
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 05:41:32 PM »
And not be so ammo picky as the Seecamp either!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 06:24:29 PM »
I am reserving judgement right now -  ;) ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 07:17:24 PM »
I kinda hope one of the two new models is a .45 GAP.  That would be as powerful as I would want to handle in a small lightweight package.  The GAP round is short enough that an upgraded material recoil spring would fit into the current platform.   From my engine engineering days, I can tell you that spring can be upgraded.  Just look at what the hot rodders are using these days compared to only a decade ago.  Expensive, but you need only one or two springs per gun.  The gun would probably be at least 0.10 thicker and 5 + 1 capacity.  

BTW: I had been carrying a .380 NAA Guardian for about two years before taking delivery of my R9S.  The R9S carries much easier for me than the 4 ounce weight difference would indicate.  The NAA frame is made Kahr Arms for NAA.  Not sure who does the machining, Kahr or NAA, but it's a nice bit of work.  If the Rohrbaughs don't release something by the time I get over my "This R9S is the last gun I'll ever have to buy" feeling,  I may look into a gun from the Kahr line.  ;)

Steve S.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 07:44:06 PM »
George:

It's good to see you posting here again.  Where have you been?  

I have no inside information, but my bets for the new Rohrbaughs are on .380 ACP and .45 GAP.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 08:30:51 PM »
Hi Richard:

I've been around. A couple of years ago, I decided to change my practice focus from commerical litigation and appellate to probate (post-death administration, guardianships, conservatorships, mental health). I wanted to stop having to fly all over creation, running to various courts, etc. What I wanted was to have a practice that keeps me in one place--near home.

I gave myself 5 years to build something up. But, business is booming well beyond my wildest expectations. Work is literally falling into my lap at a rate that blows my mind. My firm's bankruptcy department blew-up in a nasty internal war. For the first time in my firm's history they actually let an associate go. I flipped-out. I have already fill the plate of one lawyer and a half, and I could have taken that associate and retrained him to be profitable. I just didn't move fast enough.

But I'm around, I just have very little time to stop and smell the roses.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »
George - yes, from me too good to see you back.  Just realized how long since seeing you.

[size=13] I just have very little time to stop and smell the roses.[/size]

Forget the darned roses George - better yet would be the subtle odor of combusting double base propellant, as you launch lil' lead thingies, in a sorta downrange direction! ;D

Breath deep and appreciate - good way to unwind. :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »
Hi SSlater:

Both Seecamp and NAA use the came investment casting house. Seecamp machines their guns themselves, NAA uses Kahr. NAA assembles only.

Rohrbaugh follows in the Seecamp model--build as much as possible in-house.

I think NAA finally figured out that it is easier to sell a light gun. They are working on a 32 revolver and a lighter Guardian.

Seecamp Sr. saw the need for a high quality pocket gun and built it. Seecamp Jr is following in dad's footsteps. I think the market for quality pocket guns has hardly been touched. I want to stoke the flames of competition. Force innovation.

What makes this board, like the NAA board so troll free is that pocket guns are a niche market. People who are attracted to this board tend to be experienced shooters that understand the utility of small powerful concealable firearms.

So I want the clone wars to begin.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 09:14:03 PM »
George, the .380's sound good but I am not sure they can be built for that kind of money. Having said that, if it can be done the R bros would do it. My hope is a .45.    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: The two new      s
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »
After looking at my Colt Defender I just can't imagine how they could do a smaller 45. :P
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 06:36:25 PM »
Newt, I also have a Colt Defender, light weight. Had it tricked out with night sights. It carrys great.
Tom

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
Tom, It is a great 45, did you change your grips?
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 03:54:49 PM »
Newt, Yes, it now has carbon fiber black grips.     Tom

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 06:14:38 PM »
I'm hoping for a Rohrbaugh .380 Auto.

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 06:55:08 PM »
If the brothers would make an aluminum-framed .380 that was the size of a Seecamp, I'd order one instantly. If they came out with a full-sized alloy-framed .40 or .45, I'd start saving my pocket change and absolutely buy one when I had saved enough (it would probably take about two years).