Author Topic: The two new models  (Read 10579 times)

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: The two new models
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 08:13:53 PM »
I guess we'll have to wait until after 12-Feb-06, when the SHOT show in Las Vegas ends.   :(

My wife's uncle manufactures some gun industry components and usually attends the SHOT show.  He says it's tough duty but somebody has to go.  If he invited me, I'm not sure I could survive four days in Vegas... ;D

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 09:33:18 PM »
I really think the key to long term survival for the Rohrbaugh brothers is to come up with a couple of high volume, high gross margin products. I really think they can produce a Seecamp clone for less than what Seecamp sells their product for at a level of quality that is as good or better than the original. I agree that an exotic alloy clone cannot be manufactured with a price point less than Seecamp, but a machined forged steel frame version could.

Right now, the 380 Seecamp, pushes the envelope of what an investment cast, steel frame, pistol of that footprint can handle. A machined frame from a forged billet, will weigh maybe 2 ozs more, but could last almost forever. Rohrbaugh will save money by machining, since it will use its own in-house equipment and not have to subcontract the investment cast.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 02:27:41 PM »
GeorgeH it sounds good to me, lets see if the Rohrbaugh bros agree.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »
My guess is they will be .32 Auto and .380 Auto.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 08:30:50 PM »
I really think the key to long term survival for the Rohrbaugh brothers is to come up with a couple of high volume, high gross margin products. I really think they can produce a Seecamp clone for less than what Seecamp sells their product for at a level of quality that is as good or better than the original. I agree that an exotic alloy clone cannot be manufactured with a price point less than Seecamp, but a machined forged steel frame version could.

Right now, the 380 Seecamp, pushes the envelope of what an investment cast, steel frame, pistol of that footprint can handle. A machined frame from a forged billet, will weigh maybe 2 ozs more, but could last almost forever. Rohrbaugh will save money by machining, since it will use its own in-house equipment and not have to subcontract the investment cast.

I think you're right. I've been pushing for an all steel version from the beginning. At first Eric said it would happen and later said it would not, so let's see.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 10:47:21 AM »
I wouldn't mind an all-steel model and would actually prefer it. Do you think that it could handle +P ammo?

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 08:59:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind an all-steel model and would actually prefer it. Do you think that it could handle +P ammo?
The Kahr MK9 thrives on +P so, even though the Kahr is somewhat larger, I think an all steel R9 would be able to handle +P.
As has been discussed here in  the past, the current alluminum framed R9 can probably handle +P, but it would most likely crack the frame eventually.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 10:16:18 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I really like the Kahrs -- it's their lack of a repeat striker capability that I have issue with.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 12:58:45 AM »
The Kahr lineup are all great firearms, but they are not pocket guns. NAA, Seecamp, and Rohrbaugh are. The pocketgun market is a niche market with plenty of business for everyone. Seecamp refined an old CZ design. NAA had their own vision, now I want to see what Karl can see.

I know that Seecamp has a 9mm prototype in the safe. I think Larry is a genius. I would love to see that prototype. I know that NAA is working on a 32 revolver and a lighter Guardian. Again, I want to see these products come to market.

I want to see Seecamp, Rohrbaugh, and NAA bury Kel Tec. Let Kel Tec make more carbines, but their pistols are no match for NAA, Seecamp, and the Rohrbaugh brothers.

I love competition. Everyone wins.

Let the clone war begin....

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 11:27:08 AM »
GeorgeH, Seecamp was late with their .380 and NAA took some of the wind out of Larry's sail.
The R bros have already done the 9mm.
Tom

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 11:52:31 AM »
Well ,I think there is a Big  slot to be filled.  The NAA 380 is too heavy and the Seecamp 380 is too light,  in my humble opinion.    If there was a Rohrbaugh 380, with the locked breach design,  it would be the King !   But the size would need to be just a little smaller than the R9..
RJ=

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 12:16:37 PM »
RJ, you got it!   Tom

Offline Bob79

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 03:37:17 PM »
I too agree with RJ, the Seecamp .380 is just too small, and the NAA .380 at about 20 ozs loaded is just too heavy.  But the R380 would need to be smaller than the R9 for me to  really look at buying it.  

GeorgeH-I didnt' consider Kel-Tec for a long time, then I tried the 1G P-3AT and it gave me all sorts of trouble.  So I stuck with my .38 for a while, then decided to give KT a try again.  My P-32 has been 100%, and its unmatched in size/weight, and I even bought a P-11 that has been 100% as well.  Maybe I just had good luck, but I love my KT's.

I still would like to see what Rohrbaugh has in the works, and I really hope its a scaled down R9 chambered in .380 :)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005, 01:23:48 AM »
Competition breeds innovation. Right now all three manufacturers make excellent products. Maybe the 380 Guardian is too heavy, but the weight offsets recoil. Maybe the Seecamp is too light, but you can wear it virtually anywhere without a problem. That is why I'm on the soapbox for clone wars. Each manufacturer will try to make an improvement to the design, or in the materials, or bring it to market at a lower price. Each manufacturer will try and out do the other. As far as I can tell, it would be a win-win situation for everyone.

I love my Seecamps, Guardians, and Rohrbaugh. I have a great deal of faith in the Rohrbaugh brothers, just as I think of Larry Seecamp as a genius.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 11:23:28 AM »
George,

I wish they would just make a conversion kit for the R9S, where we  could select either a .380 Auto barrel, or maybe even a .22LR.

The .380 would be a wonderful choice for those who are recoil sensitive.  I would buy one for sure, if the price was reasonable.

I used to go to Algonac and Harsen's Island when I was younger.  I believe they are off in your direction.

I'm bummed about the low water levels, even though it's great to have more beach.  

We live south of Ann Arbor, and also north of Oscoda.

Bill