Author Topic: Why is the Robar in 9mm discontinued?  (Read 10690 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Why is the Robar in 9mm discontinued?
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
I'm sorry if it's covered elsewhere, I couldn't find it when I searched.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Why is the Robar in 9mm discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:39:01 AM »
C0untZer0, Welcome to the group.
   I'm not sure if there is a particular reason it was discontinued other than the factory wanted to have a limited production item.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:42:55 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »
I'm sorry if it's covered elsewhere, I couldn't find it when I searched.

C0untZer0.  Welcome to the Forum; really don't know the reason for the discontinuance of the Robar; anyone's guess, I suppose.  Again, welcome.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »
After last week, my guess is quality control. (I kid, I kid!)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:03:15 AM »
My guess is the amount of time it takes and the tracking of all the parts, the same reason why I sit and think of getting my R9 coated and yet it sits here. I really don't want the hassle of sending the R9 out.
Now that is one gun, imagine multiple guns.

With that said, I did make an appointment to get one of my Seecamps engraved.I have extra Seecamp, no extra R9s.
The Seecamp that is getting engraved has not been made yet, so it is a complete waiting job.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
My guess is the amount of time it takes and the tracking of all the parts, the same reason why I sit and think of getting my R9 coated and yet it sits here. I really don't want the hassle of sending the R9 out.
That's exactly why mine hasn't gone out, is the hassle of sending it out.  Now I know some of you don't mind that................. :)

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
I guess my point is that the website makes it seem like a different model or something.

It could just be me, I might have misread it.

It has 3 main categories of products under it's home page:

▪ Rohrbaugh R9 & R9s

▪ Rohrbaugh 380 &380s

▪ Rohrbaugh/Robar

It's really just an R9 with NP3.  I guess S&W does this too - they have different model numbers for basically identical pistols depending on the finish.

It just threw me I guess...

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »
▪ Rohrbaugh/Robar

It's really just an R9 with NP3.  I guess S&W does this too - they have different model numbers for basically identical pistols depending on the finish.
It is a little more than just a different finish. The parts are hand selected and fitted by Rohrbaugh, and sent to Robar. Robar then sandblasts and coats the pieces, internal and out, with the NP3. That is all then sent back to the factory, where the parts are again inspected, hand fitted and reassembled. In other words, a pistol that is already essentially handmade is given a much higher level of hand inspection, work and fitting.

I have both a "regular" R9 Stealth model, and a Robar version. While both are excellent, you can tell the Robar model has a smoother trigger and perfect tolerances.
Dr John Meade
Director of Tactical Medicine
Suarez International

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:35 AM »
Agree with bama. I have a Robar factory model that I was fortunate to have purchased from this forum. I received unfired gun with papers and warranty intact.

I also own a standard two tone R9, that I do not shoot or carry. If I were concerned about preserving value, the Robar would be the "safe queen". However, I love the one tone gun and the trigger on the Robar is perfection.

I don't have the factory inside story as to Robar model discontinuence. However, I would guess that factory finds it easier, and more cost effective, not to deal with "special guns". Witness the demise of custom R9s across the board.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
It would be cool if you could order custom serial numbers directly from the factory like seecamp.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »

If we did that we couldn't argue about serial nos., dates of production, etc..

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »
And that would be a good thing!    :)

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »
My Pup is a Robar edition. The action is as smooth as silk. I have another pistol I sent to Robar years ago (P226) it shoots like a dream to and still looks new.
 Maria told me they only made 90 of the Robar's. I traded an ASP to get it and I got the better end of the deal!
 If you are going to spend $1100 why not go to $1800 and be done.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
The problem with wanting a Robar now is finding one.  There have been a couple pop up and they're snapped up quickly.  I know you can have a regular R9 done at Robar and money can be saved by doing that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:13:24 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 10:57:36 PM »
Maybe my aftermarket Robar pup will come up for sale in the future.  ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson