Author Topic: New Angle On FTF/FTE/Ammo  (Read 10744 times)

Offline nyr888

Re: New Angle On FTF/FTE/Ammo
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 12:43:21 AM »
I read someones advice from this board and shooting the r9 with a serious grip definitely helped. I just can't stake my life on a gun that is finicky about grip. If the kaka hits the fan, I can't guarantee I'll be able to get a proper grip prior to opening fire. Others might feel more comfortable about their abilities under stress.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
Lawman.  I've previously welcomed you to the Forum, but hey, welcome again; and thanks for the report.    :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:15:18 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 08:21:26 AM »
nyr

Have you tried Johns grip extensions or a set of the VZ checkered grips?
I know both of these have aided me in controlling my PUP.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
i think we(newer R9 owners) go out buying an R9, expecting to use the same technique as our bigger guns, not realizing it takes a little more familiarizing with a 13.5 oz. 9mm pocket gun. I distinctly remember shooting my friends 4xxx series gun and the first 2 mags i fired, i had FTFeed's and FTExtract's. My friend took it from me, loaded it, and fired the mag flawlessly, looked over at me and said: "Hold onto it! It's not like your Glock 19, don't give it any slack." Next couple of mags i fired...not one hiccup.

I now own 2 Rohrbaughs, one R9 and one 380. Not a peep from either. The R9 is a used High 5xxx series. Normal wear, I change the springs every 200 rounds and I run it with a thick coat of hoppe's oil w/ Weatherguard.

Dr.:

If I have not previously welcomed you to the Forum, I do so now.

And thank you for that post. It summarizes very well the proper use, care, and feeding of these little masterpieces of design.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
Lawman a welcome from me as well.  :)
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
i think we(newer R9 owners) go out buying an R9, expecting to use the same technique as our bigger guns, not realizing it takes a little more familiarizing with a 13.5 oz. 9mm pocket gun. I distinctly remember shooting my friends 4xxx series gun and the first 2 mags i fired, i had FTFeed's and FTExtract's. My friend took it from me, loaded it, and fired the mag flawlessly, looked over at me and said: "Hold onto it! It's not like your Glock 19, don't give it any slack." Next couple of mags i fired...not one hiccup.

I now own 2 Rohrbaughs, one R9 and one 380. Not a peep from either. The R9 is a used High 5xxx series. Normal wear, I change the springs every 200 rounds and I run it with a thick coat of hoppe's oil w/ Weatherguard.

Good point, Dr. G; thanks!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
Well range day report on the all new redone Karl VIP treatment R9.   This was a walk in the woods metal target setup shoot.  Targets were 20-40 yards away.  although I know it's not a range gun I had to try it out after hearing Reinz's shooting stats, LOL.  VERDICT?   Flawless victory!!  This is the gun I expected when I bought it.  The guys were blown away at the accuracy and how far the casing ejected for such a small gun.  Three mag's and not one hiccup.  Gold dot 124gr.  Very, Very happy. 

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »
Congrats, Jeep; as the R9 should be; continue to enjoy!

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »
Well range day report on the all new redone Karl VIP treatment R9.   This was a walk in the woods metal target setup shoot.  Targets were 20-40 yards away.  although I know it's not a range gun I had to try it out after hearing Reinz's shooting stats, LOL.  VERDICT?   Flawless victory!!  This is the gun I expected when I bought it.  The guys were blown away at the accuracy and how far the casing ejected for such a small gun.  Three mag's and not one hiccup.  Gold dot 124gr.  Very, Very happy.

Jeep,

I am very glad to hear that everything is taken care of and you are enjoying your R9!

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline jeeptree2112

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
me too.  I cleaned it, took it back out one more time and 3 mags later........STILL, flawless.  Now I am completely satisfied.  Now I'll put it to bed until I NEED it, except for a couple of breathers per year.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:32 PM »
I read someones advice from this board and shooting the r9 with a serious grip definitely helped. I just can't stake my life on a gun that is finicky about grip. If the kaka hits the fan, I can't guarantee I'll be able to get a proper grip prior to opening fire. Others might feel more comfortable about their abilities under stress.

The R9s are not finicky about the grip of the shooter. Being the smallest and lightest handguns ever designed for the 9mm Parabellum, they just need a firm grip. When the SHTF, I expect my grip to be firm -- and then some.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 08:11:27 AM »
me too.  I cleaned it, took it back out one more time and 3 mags later........STILL, flawless.  Now I am completely satisfied.  Now I'll put it to bed until I NEED it, except for a couple of breathers per year.

Excellent, jeep; time to enjoy.    :)

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 08:20:53 AM »

I am glad to hear all is well. Do enjoy! :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »
Great news Jeeptree!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »
Lawman, may I offer my hand to you for a firm handshake to welcome you to the forum as well.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE