Author Topic: feasible to add small dot to front sight?  (Read 8767 times)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
feasible to add small dot to front sight?
« on: July 26, 2004, 09:54:38 PM »
I know there is much argument over whether sights are needed at all on gun like this, but since I have R9s and it does have those rudimentary sights, I was wondering about feasibility of having machinist drill small hole on front ramp and add some type of either paint, or gold bead, or bright dot type material. My aging eyes dont pick up front sight as it is now. Anyone have any ideas on this....sure as heck dont want to ruin front sight since it is part of frame.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: feasible to add small dot to front sight?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:24:10 PM »
It can be done safely, but only in a mill.  And using a *starter drill bit*, I think that is the term.  I will see if I can find a picture of one.
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 12:09:24 AM »
Jim - we discussed this some time back .. and I for one would like eventually for the gun in sighted form, to come out with small ''dimples'' as std ..... one on front sight and one each side of rear ... so that this picture ....

can be made easier to achieve and thus more permanent.  I currently have just dots of ''BrightSights'' paint applied but do not carry this all time .. tho it does seem quite reluctant to come off.  Holstering a lot tho might be a different matter.

DIY tho???  No - not unless you have machine shop facilities and - experience.  Stainless is hard to machine - hard on tooling too.  You would need to spend some time setting up .. and then using a center drill to start ... and then as RJ states ... with use of an end mill.  Oh so easy to screw up and mar the thing.  

BTW, front sight is part of the slide Jim .. not the frame!!  Not desirable to ruin either of course!! :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 12:25:24 AM »
thanks for thoughts...No, I definitely wouldn't try it myself, and yes, I wasn't thinking when I referred to frame. Still though, wouldn't want to screw up slide.  Anyway, I guees anything can be improved. As much as I like R9s so far, its fun to think of improvements!  Not sure I could think of many more!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 12:43:21 AM »
I knew you meant slide Jim ... was ribbing you really! ;D#

I think I did mention this aspect to Eric in an email a while back - so they do know something of our thinking.  I guess the backlog will need cleared way more before new changes get considered but I know the brothers are open to input always.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 12:59:56 AM »
R9SCarry-  I don't mind being ribbed for stupid statements :P   well, most of the time anyway!  Again, the pics you post here are excellent!  Did you paint those sights? Looks pretty good to me. Think I will try that. I have some orange brightsite paint around here somewhere....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:02:27 AM by jimacp »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 01:13:57 AM »
Jim .... I'll be honest - on the gun they are not quite so perfect - good but not quite perfect.  I did ''clean up'' the image a bit - so as to show what it should look like.... perhaps what could be done when having small ''dimples''

Colors are genuine as is placement --- but circles on rear sight not quite  as good as pic!

May I suggest - IMO two colors needed for ideal effect ..... if you only have one right now - put it on foresight -- that helps the most I reckon .. I mean even if only there .... if you can see it between shoulders of rear - then that's pretty  darned useful!  Try using a small blob on toothpick - seems to work best for me .... and if first application goes sour - wipe off real quick and start again!  Clean first BTW with some isopropyl alcohol .. or denatured alcohol .. to ensure reasonably grease-free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh and - near forgot - that paint I reckon needs a good ''cure'' time .. 12 hrs min - 24 preferable.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:16:20 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline packin_heat

• Sultan of Swing, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 04:07:07 PM »
something i just thought of...could you brush a little bit of clear coat on top to protect the paint? or would it come off just as easy as the paint. also, mabey that would cause the sun to reflect off the clear coat?? just some thoughts. you can buy little bottles of clear coat with car touch up paint
"Shop smart, shop S-Mart"
"Pphh...English, who needs that? I'm never going to England!"
"I didn't go to work today. The voices told me to stay home and clean the guns".

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 04:20:37 PM »
Packin' ...... I don't think Clear Cote would be any advantage.  It certainly may make the dots more reflective - thus glare potential.  Plus - I think the bottom line is whether the paint itself can ''key'' adequately onto the metal - the determining factor IMO as to whether it can stay put.

This is why ''dimples'' would so useful ... with adequate paint adhesion, virtually nothing would disturb the paint.  Bit like I have on my BHP and both P Series.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Aquanewt

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 12:09:05 PM »
Enamel paint (the old Testors model airplane type) might work. I painted the front sight of my S&W model 36 years ago when I carried it in ankle holster. I had to re-do it occassionally but the paint lasted quite a while. Granted, the M-36 front sight was serrated (sp?) Just an idea.
"Badges? We don't need no Stinkin' Badges!"

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 01:53:11 AM »
Testors works well for other guns - especially with serrated ramps. It may sound scriligious but I would rough up the front site just a bit and then paint it - I think you'll get a better result. Oh and yeah, you'll like it too!!!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 09:08:48 PM »
"If you want to paint sights with bright colors, you must first put a base of white paint down first. If you ever wondered how professional sights have a paint that is impervious to everything, email me and I will tell you". Teddy Jacobson

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this than me could email him and post his reply

www.actionsbyt.com, his email address is JAJ45F@alltel.net

Welcome home

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 09:23:14 PM »
Has anyone done anymore / anything different with your sights? I would like to at least get a contrast on the front to make it easier to pick up in a hurry..

As we go along I would think we will learn thru trial and error and this will help everyone.. ;)

I am getting ready to do a bit of "something" for the pickup of the front sight..

Thanks...
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 09:45:56 PM »
Brenden ... pretty much what I described before - that's about as good as I can get right now.  Doubt there is much else unless some ''easy fix'' became feasable for tritiums.

Unlikely IMO!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site