Author Topic: Front Sight  (Read 10054 times)

Offline SandMan

Re: Front Sight
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
I have not tried fingernail polish - my wife doesn't wear it and when I go to the store myself, the color choices are just overwhelming to me... ;D ;D

Actually, one thing I have found w/paint is to put a thin coat of white on first, then red or orange over that after it has dried VERY well - it seems to be more durable and the red stands out a little better over the under-white than directly on gun metal.  Your mileage may vary.... :)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 06:03:03 PM »

That technique is exactly the same as recommended by my gunsmith.

Offline SandMan

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
.... the paint works 'well enough' for me, but I am curious if anybody has tried to have the sight post milled and then "attached" somehow a true gold bead [not paint - actual gold] in the dimple -- not sure how you would make that connection, but I have seen full-sized pistols w/gold beads that are very bright.

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
Thanks Sandman I will try that on my R9s.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »
At one time there was a kit that could be had which used a powder and resin mixture which you did yourself, very similar to acraglas, in various colors and was used to fill front sights in the S&W manner.   It was very good, quick and long lasting.  Much easier to do than cutting plastic inserts to replace those that came out during shooting.   I suspect that somebody still makes something like that since it hasn't been that long since I saw those kits for sale but don't recall where exactly.   Lots of colors were in the kit including green and yellow as well as orange and red etc.   A colored resin filled hole should last virtually forever.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline rodell

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »
Those kits are available from Brownells.  I use them to do revolver sights.  The polymer is tough.  If someone would drill my front sight, I'll try it.

If you have a milled hole, though, I'll bet that nail polish would last just as long (no abrasion).

Only one gun from enough ...