Author Topic: Small reassembly tip.  (Read 3501 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Small reassembly tip.
« on: May 23, 2004, 11:47:05 PM »
Those already with an R9 may have found this out ..... but when reassembling I found one thing in particular which initially seemed to make things difficult.

Inspection and thought soon came up with reason and solution is simple.  Look at pic below (borrowed from DDgator's post) ..... you'll see at the inner (left) end of the spring assembly - there is a circular disk ... which impinges on the barrel lug.  In order to easily refit the slide, this disk should be parallel with slide in both plains.

If slightly ''off'' then that disk will not return into the close fitting area on the frame and you'll find that as you try to move the last 1/2", the spring (springs) come under compression, early.  So - just eye up the assembly nicely parallel first off .. and should be no probs.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 11:48:28 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
Re: Small reassembly tip.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 11:39:31 PM »
I still have a bit of difficultly putting it back together.

I seem to lining everything up, I have had to push up on the recoil rod where it sticks out of the slide, you hear the recoil rod snap into place and everything lines up.

It seems I should not have to do this, though

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Small reassembly tip.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 11:54:50 AM »
In an ideal world no - I doubt this would have to happen but ... equally - I don't think it's gonna matter either!

Being such tight tolerancing .... if that spring assembly disk or ''foot'' is not absolutely pre-aligned with the frame then it'll have to slightly deviate to enter the relief machined for it.. pressure on guide rod end probably all that's needed to ''shuffle'' it that last bit.

What I noticed originally was - that if the alignment was way off, then it won't even snick into place ..... thus, as long as by eye the spring assembly is all but true in both plains ... it should at least go back together.  Practice certainly makes this get easier.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.