Author Topic: Uberti 1870 Cattleman  (Read 10868 times)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
Uberti 1870 Cattleman
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:04:28 AM »
I purchased this Uberti 1870 Cattleman the other week. It is chambered in .357, and it looks well made. The problem is, I really don't know a whole heck of a lot about this manufacturer and I was reading on one forum that magnum rounds should not be used because this is only a replica. Now this could be true, I don't know. I did buy this used, it was never shot, but no owners manual accompanied the gun, just the box.
I was hoping some of you here know the real scoop on these replicas.
I would appreciate any information that you could give me pertaining to the magnum loadings or the pistol itself.
Thanks

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:05:07 AM by chameleon »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Uberti 1870 Cattleman
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
Chameleon.  I have a friend that goes shooting with me and he has a Uberti .357 1873.  I have shot it with the .357 mags with no problem.  He reloads his own and has never mentioned any difficulties.

Excellent lookin' gun!

Just for more information, there's a Uberti 1873 Cattleman on GunsAmerica that in the description says it fires the .357 magnum round.  That's not new info, I know, however, it does state it uses that ammo.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/997263320/Guns/Pistols/Uberti-Pistols/Ctg/1873_Cattleman_Birdshead_OM.htm
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:07:52 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »
Here is a link to the Uberti web site, although you may already have consulted it:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single_action_cattleman.php

Mike Cumpston's book, Percussion Pistols And Revolvers: History, Performance and Practical Use, contains a discussion of the modern-day Italian reproductions that may be of interest. The following link to Amazon contains 21 customer reviews of the work:

http://www.amazon.com/Percussion-Pistols-Revolvers-Performance-Practical/dp/0595357962/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289224261&sr=1-1

And a link to some more literature:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Uberti+Revolvers&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3AUberti+Revolvers&enc=1&ajr=3

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:45:37 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »
It looks like Richard and kj have covered all the bases, good luck with your new shootin iron.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 06:42:13 PM »
Chamaleon - I have and have hade many ubertis over the past.  I am also very active in Cowboy Action Shooting and am very exposed to these guns.

Trust me, there is no problem shooting whatever you want in these guns.

They are not the tanks that Ruger Vaqueros or Blackhawks are, where you can shoot max loads all day forever.   But you can still have fun with it.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
Chamaleon - I have and have hade many ubertis over the past.  I am also very active in Cowboy Action Shooting and am very exposed to these guns.

Trust me, there is no problem shooting whatever you want in these guns.

[glb]They are not the tanks that Ruger Vaqueros or Blackhawks are, where you can shoot max loads all day forever.   But you can still have fun with it.[/glb]

Thank all of you for all the info, just got done reading some of it.
I guess I could have just bought a Ruger, but last week I wasn't even looking for a SA Cowboy revolver, and my friend was selling one, so that is that.

Thank you again everyone.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
Hey it is nothing to apologize for.  It is a good, "Colt clone".

Get a good rig from Kilpatric leather or Knight's leather works, or Mernicle leather which will work great and look great too as well as last a lifetime.

Enjoy!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Another place that makes some fine looking rigs for that type of gun is El Paso Saddlery Co.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Another place that makes some fine looking rigs for that type of gun is El Paso Saddlery Co.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/

John

My Uberti came with an El Paso Saddlery holster.
Very nice.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
It looks like your all set, there holsters are very nice.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »

My Uberti came with an El Paso Saddlery holster.
Very nice.

I just looked at those.  They are excellent!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
I actually found the owners manual (?) in the box. I question manual because t was just a folded brochure looking thing, not the typical booklet I would have expected.

Here is a picture of the Cattleman and the Holster.

Maybe a new belt is in my future.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
chameleon,
    A very sharp looking setup, let us know how you like shooting it.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 12:01:34 AM »
chameleon.  Now that is one excellent gun and holster!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:05:57 AM by kjtrains »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:26 AM »
Thank you guys.
As I said, I bought this from a friend, and I remember him agonizing over which pistol, which caliber and then which holster. Once he decided, I really liked what I saw.
The whole package is as new.

I truly can't wait to shoot it.