Author Topic: Thoughts/feelings on a Kahr PM40?  (Read 6852 times)

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Thoughts/feelings on a Kahr PM40?
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »
I love my R9s, but had an opportunity to make a great trade deal today on a NIB PM40 for my NIB 642 plus $100 (I only paid $250 for the 642).

I'm totally new to the Kahr, but liked the size of the PM 40 for a .40 S&W gun.  Doubtful that I'll make a pocket gun out of it (already use the R9s and LWS380 for that), but I can see me slipping it in the waistband when running up to the local "stop-n-rob" for a gallon of milk.

Any experiences, thoughts, feelings or tips associated with this gun will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 05:26:03 PM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: Thoughts/feelings on a Kahr PM40?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 05:52:17 PM »
My wife got me one for Xmas and after I examined it I did not like the size or feel of the gun. I did not shoot it. I had a Glock 27 and it was a very good piece in all respects but I liked the 9mm 26 better. If I were you I would look at the Glock 27 also but they are both fine guns.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 11:58:21 PM »
You'll find some reviews on the Kahr PM40 here with other smaller Kahr pistols.

http://www.kahr.com/review.html
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 04:38:05 PM »
Today, I took my PM40 to the range to run the break-in period and see what, if any, problems were encountered. Well, 250 rounds of WWB 180gr went down range with ZERO problems. Every round fed, fired and ejected. Absoultely no problems whatsoever.

To me, the recoil was not that bad -- though the cross-hatch on the backstrap does cause some discomfort after 250 rounds in an hour or so at the range. I took my R9s to fire as well. To my surprise, the percieved recoil was worse in the R9s, it was more uncomfortable to shoot, and I performed worse with it.

The accuracy (minimum shooting distance at this range is 15 yards) in the PM40 was much better than I expected. All rounds in the target, and most within a palm-sized group.

My PM40 was test fired on 6/23/2004 -- so, it has been sitting on the dealer's shelf for some time and may not have benefited from later tweeking at the factory.

In summary, I am well pleased. The PM40 may oust the R9s as my favorite pocket carry pistol.... :o

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 10:48:42 PM »
Fly -- althought it undoubtedly works for some, dont you find the PM40 to be large for pocket carry?  I can pocket carry a G26 too, but its not a pocket gun.  To me, the PM40 pushes the limits a bit.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 04:07:57 AM »
It's not really any more difficult to pocket the PM40 than it is the R9s for me.  I was carrying the R9s in a Hedley front pocket holster, but because I had an Uncle Mike's available for the PM40 -- been carrying it in the rear pocket like a wallet.

It is actually easier to draw from the rear pocket than my R9s from the front -- at least in blue jeans.  Dress pants/khakis may be a different story.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 10:25:11 AM »
I found that the smaller PM9 was too much for pockets.  It had to be IWB carry in my case.

Actually, it would go in the rear pocket, but it was a major production getting it out.

Bill

Offline Bubbaman

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 11:20:34 PM »
I recently sold my PM9, but not because it wasn't an awesome little gun. I never had ANY kind of failure with it in about 400 rounds. I carried it in a rear pocket holster, but it really isn't a pocket pistol. I spoke to someone at Kahr about three weeks ago, and they are working on a .380 about the size of the P3AT. It is supposed to be out in about a year or so. That will be a pocket pistol to have. Since the PM9 wasn't really a pocket pistol I opted for a Springfield Micro Compact .40 S&W that Fireblade Systems is working on for me. It will work in a coat pocket, etc. but I still need a real "back pocket" pistol. Still holding up on the R9 until I'm totally convinced. ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 11:39:43 PM »
We all dislike making mistakes, but after buying two R-9s'
from Tom at IrishGuard, I have to say that it is the only
gun that meets all of my expectations for a concealed carry weapon. There are no compromises, i.e., weight, size,
calibre, reliability, tactile feel, etc.---period.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 12:07:17 AM »
I am curious as to how a Kahr in .380 will be better than a Kel-Tec P-3AT -- other than being more expensive.  I think the pocket .380 market is pretty well filled between the Seecamp, Guardian and P-3AT.  And the R-380...  ;)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 04:58:47 PM »
Could someone post some pictures of the R-380?

Isn't it time for the SHOT show yet?

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »
I see the SHOT show will be February 9-12, 2006.

Are we getting close to an announcement?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 02:06:08 AM »
The R-380 comment was some speculation on my part, I guess... I don't think its a secret that Rohrbaugh plans to make one.  I held, photographed, and even fired the .380 prototype on my factory tour over a year ago.  The gun will be identical to the R-9, but with a barrel designed for .380 ACP.

I would post the photos, but I don't want to be a spoiler.  Picture an R-9 with the designation R-380 on the slide and you will get the general idea...

Duane (DDGator)

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 03:18:11 AM »
So, no smaller in size -- just a rebarreled R9?  Without a size advantage, it may be difficult to justify a purchase compared to the LWS380

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 08:49:50 AM »
I had planned to trade my R9S for the expected R380S because of recoil.  

But now, tape has tamed the beast.  No problems.

Still, the .380 may be impossible to resist.