Author Topic: Wilson or Nighthawk  (Read 8776 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Wilson or Nighthawk
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
 Over time it has become apparent to me that the members here do not mind sharing their opinions.  ;D I know, shocking as it is  ::) .  But I am going to open the door and ask for it.  I am in the market for another carry .45 Cal 1911 and am on the fence between the Nighthawk T3 and the Wilson Bill Wilson carry. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

And as a side note, I just bought my wife a Kimber S/S Ultra Raptor For Xmas, she fell in love with the Lizard scale treatment on the slide and feather Treatment on the grips)

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Wilson or Nighthawk
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »
I really like the Ed Brown Bobtail Kobra Carry Lightweight.
Both of your choices are good ones but I have no first hand experience with either.

http://www.edbrown.com/kobracarrylw.htm

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
I'm partial to the Ed Brown, and your two choices are great!

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »
I really like the Ed Brown Bobtail Kobra Carry Lightweight.
Both of your choices are good ones but I have no first hand experience with either.

http://www.edbrown.com/kobracarrylw.htm

John

I already have a Talon II Bobtailed Lightweight which is pretty much the same critter. Looking for something differant

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »
OK, I just checked out both and my vote goes for the T3 with a Hard Chrome finish. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »
Get one of each in the Hard Chrome finish and you'll be covered.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Chief:

That's a close call, but on balance I think I would go with the Nighthawk T3. It is just a little bigger than the Wilson, but given that it also has a 4.25" barrel compared with the Wilson's 4" -- and in the 1911s, I believe every little bit helps.

During your research you have probably already seen these two reviews, but if not you may find them of interest:

Nighthawk T3:

http://www.m1911.org/ezine/nhcT3.htm

Wilson Bill Wilson Carry:

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=23

As you noted, opinions are easy to obtain around here -- and they're probably worth about what you pay for them. Anyway, that's mine.  

Whichever one you select, you will have a real prize. (When you have it in hand . . . pictures, please?)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »
 I am really on the fence with this one. I tend to think one gets more "bang" (Pun Intended  ;D) for the buck w/ Nighthawk but the Wilson is slightly smaller and as we know with the Rohrbaughs, one would tend to carry it more if it was more easily carried. Also there is the fact I have never owned a Wilson so there is a curiosity factor.  hmmm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:26:04 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 07:21:45 AM »
 I talked with Nighthawk yesterday and happened to ask about if they were coming out with a 100th Anniversary model for the 1911.  They told me they were and it was coming out at the SHOT show in Jan.  Would not tell me any more about it though. They did tell me I would be among the first offered it and that they would contact me as soon as it is officially announced. I did ask him if it was something I would be interested in, since he knows what I like (Form follows Function, I am not looking for a safe queen) And he told me "Definately"..... Uh oh.....

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
Great, Chief.  Sounds like something to look forward to.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »

I'm sure you know about Volkmann but here is an interesting review.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=33

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
 Yes, I have talked to Him on the phone as well. He is a very nice guy. His guns used to be a deal but he had about a 20% Price hike not long after the article, and now not so good a deal when you take into concideration factors such as Warrantee and support. Being a one man shop, any work needed could be lengthy. But he does make beautiful guns. Also I already have a version of his Combat Carry Bobtail, I have a Nighthawk Talon II Bobtail (With Aluminum Frame). I am looking for an alternative to that configuration just for variety.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »
I have a Bill Wilson CQB and a full size CQB. They are great guns. I have a Crimson Trace laser grip on the compact and use a Milt Sparks Holster.  Jack
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline thewayofthegun1

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »
Im late to the fray but i say Wilson Ultralight Carry for the win! ;D

or.....

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:12:28 PM by thewayofthegun1 »
If you've ever been hungry... you will never be full

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
thewayofthegun1, Very Nice. :D and great pics, you are right up there with Richard & Corey. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson