Author Topic: XDS acquired  (Read 2682 times)

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
XDS acquired
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »
I snagged a Springfield XDS on Monday.  It is roughly the same size/weight as the S&W Shield.  The trigger isn't quite as nice as the Shield - but it is better than most sub-compact 45s.  I was able to get the 7-rd extended magazine as well, and I plan to use that as my spare magazine.

360 trouble-free rounds downrange at this point.  Recoil is as expected for a small 45, but the pistol is controllable and quite comfortable to shoot -- even with Ranger T +P self defense ammo.

Academy Sports is beginning to take delivery one or two at a time -- with a price tag of $529.99  There is actually one sitting in the case at the Hoover, AL store as of tonight.  Someone in the B'ham area needs to beat feet over there when the doors open tomorrow morning -- and grab it!

Carrying the XDS IWB is comfortable all day -- along with a P938 in the pocket as a back-up.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: XDS acquired
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
Thanks for the report! 

Sounds like a winner. :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
The XDS is on my List of guns to buy. Looks like and exellant little .45 . Too bad the R-45 has not shown up yet.  When/if it does show, it will have to be spectacular to outshine the Big Boys offerings.

Chief

Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
I held one today at my local GS, looked ok but it's like all the other XD, XDM, XD?? Springfields and I'm not a big fan of them. But that's just me. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
What was the LGS asking for it?  I stumbled across another one today BNIB and picked it up in case someone else on the forums I visit wants one.  I'll let the new one go for what I have in it if somene here wants it!

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
I ran another 200 trouble-free rounds of ball ammo through my XDS yesterday. The trigger has really smoothed out during the 500+ round break-in period. The pistol points naturally for me with the large backstrap installed.

Here is a sample target: 17 rounds fired standing off-hand at 21 feet slow fire.

I attribute the slightly low left group to trigger control rather than sight misalignment. That should improve with continued practice and familiarity with the XDS trigger. The group is certainly acceptable for self defense work at self defense distances. The rough texture of the grip surface aids in control of the weapon with a firm grip, but I didn't find it uncomfortable to shoot at all -- nor did I suffer any pain, blisters, bites, etc. while shooting the XDS.

Springfield has a winner in the XDS. If no one buys the extra one I have listed for sale, I won't complain about owning two of them!