Miscellaneous > Other Guns

Ounce Pistols

<< < (3/3)

MRC:

--- Quote from: tracker on January 23, 2023, 11:49:33 AM ---Thanks for the info. My information on hard primers came from another expert: well known pistol smith Teddy Jacobson. I rather doubt that Hornady's machines do not seat a primer properly. In any case I will not buy any more Hornady ammo because of the problems I had with them in the R9.

--- End quote ---

I happens a lot more than you think.  Starline had a run of 32 ACP brass which I bought some and I had to double seat the primer to get them to work in a Seecamp.  I ended up using at least double the force to set them deep enough.

Underwood, which produces quality custom ammo, ran a bunch of the same brass and it would not run in most of the Seecamps.  If you reset the primer manually it would fire every time.

The European primers are harder but it only shows up in small hammer fired pistols that I have heard of.  A slightly harder primer cup will also seat harder.

There is a trade-off in design, increase the main spring and the trigger gets stiffer.  I am amazed the the R9 trigger fires as good as they do with as light a trigger as they have.

The Seecamps hammer is small and does not weigh very much.  There you end up with a 12 ounce pistol with an 11 pound trigger.

tracker:
The conclusions of this study comparing .22LR to .22 Magnum was somewhat surprising.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/22-magnum-for-personal-defense-is-the-juice-worth-the-squeeze/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20230206_BlogDigest_520&utm_campaign=/digest/22-magnum-for-personal-defense-is-the-juice-worth-the-squeeze/

backupr9:
Interesting.  The LR wins on cost but I am not sure that one can discount the effect of expansion in gelatin noted for the magnum round.  My 6+1 9mm R9 is clearly my carry choice, although my LWS .32 is sometimes the best option here in Florida due to dress requirements.  I would note that the S&W M&P 340 in 38/357 has a less than 2” barrel, is in the same format as the 22’s featured here, weighs 13.8 oz (scandium), and has a tritium front sight, but of course with fewer rounds in the cylinder.  I guess it is, as always, a matter of “horses for courses”.

tracker:
As you know this was only a comparison between the .22 LR and the .22 Magnum, not other calibers or carry weapons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version