Author Topic: I am so ashamed...  (Read 10217 times)

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
I am so ashamed...
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:59:20 PM »
After years of bashing polymer guns, and calling them everything from big black bricks to fugly tupperware, I broke down today and bought my first plastic nightmare.

I had been needing a new gun for my nightstand drawer and I wanted something that was ready to shoot the second I picked it up. I did not want to fiddle with manual safeties and I wanted the short easy trigger pull of a SA without having to cock a hammer. I also wanted high capacity just in case.

As much as I hate to admit it, the gun that fit the bill and did not cost an arm and a leg was the Springfield XD-9.

It has a 17 shot capacity, is SA striker fired, has a passive grip and trigger safety, has the potential for a light or laser sight, and only cost me $450.

All these features combined was enough to make me swallow my pride and admit that a gun I would not usually give the time to was the best choice.

I figure it is not something I have to like the looks of...it just has to be utilitarian. :)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:04:59 AM by PlayboyPenguin »
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline harrydog

• Master
Re: I am so ashamed...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »
Ashamed of what? Being a gun snob?

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
PlayBoyPenguin,

You should be ashamed.  Plastic guns :(.  How does it feel when you hold it.   As has been said before, plastic guns have no soul.

If price was a big consideration I understand, but that is one butt ugly handgun.  Very functional I am sure but geez.

YES, I am a gun snob and PROUD of it.  Life is to short to own ugly guns.

I DO UNDERSTAND  that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that won't stop me from expressing my opinions.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »
[size=16]Ashamed of what? Being a gun snob?[/size]
No, not at all. I freely admit to being a gun snob and I am quite proud of my superior tastes in firearms. It is one of the reasons I own the Rohrbaugh in the first place. If it wasn't for my high standards I would have just bought a Kel-Tec instead. :D

[size=16]How does it feel when you hold it.   As has been said before, plastic guns have no soul.[/size]
It actually have a very good feel to it. It feels a little top heavy when empty but with 17 rounds loaded it starts feeling very well balanced.

It will not win any beauty contest but I found it to be oddly attractive when compared to the Glocks and other plastic guns. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:04:11 PM by PlayboyPenguin »
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 05:21:58 PM »
Is it true that XDs must be returned to the factory for
parts replacement if something breaks or malfunctions?

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »
[size=13]Is it true that XDs must be returned to the factory for
parts replacement if something breaks or malfunctions?[/size]
I have not idea...but if something went wrong that is exactely what I would do with it anyway.  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:42:59 PM by PlayboyPenguin »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 07:13:03 PM »
PlayboyPenguin,

I will agree with you completly that it is much better looking than a Glock.  Glock's, the most butt ugly handgun in the entire world.

I will admit to the viewers of this forum that even I am contemplating a mostly 'plastic gun' purchase as it is the only gun of it's design in the world and simply is not available in any other configuration.

Anyone care to guess what this 'mystery gun' is?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 07:19:39 PM »
FN Five-Seven?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:26:47 PM by PlayboyPenguin »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
It looks like more is collected there than just guns. ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 10:05:29 PM »
Redeem yourself and get a P7M13 for the house gun! :o
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 10:21:49 PM »
Slightly different price range and animal on that p7M13:
a very formidable weapon.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
PlayBoyPenguin,

You should be ashamed.  Plastic guns :(.  How does it feel when you hold it.   As has been said before, plastic guns have no soul.

If price was a big consideration I understand, but that is one butt ugly handgun.  Very functional I am sure but geez.

YES, I am a gun snob and PROUD of it.  Life is to short to own ugly guns.

I DO UNDERSTAND  that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that won't stop me from expressing my opinions.

Mike
I see...you buy guns based on how they look. Brilliant!   ::)

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:49 AM »
[size=16]I see...you buy guns based on how they look. Brilliant![/size]
I can't speak for Mike but I always take looks into consideration. To an extent, the gun you chose is an extension of your own character. There are just way to many guns that are functional and attractive to choose "functional and ugly."

When it came down to deciding which plastic nightmare to choose I went with the one that was not only one of the best at filling my needs, but also looked best to me.  :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:05:32 AM by PlayboyPenguin »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
PlayboyPenguin,

I will agree with you completly that it is much better looking than a Glock.  Glock's, the most butt ugly handgun in the entire world.

I will admit to the viewers of this forum that even I am contemplating a mostly 'plastic gun' purchase as it is the only gun of it's design in the world and simply is not available in any other configuration.

Anyone care to guess what this 'mystery gun' is?

Mike

Beretta Cx4 Storm?

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"