Author Topic: I am so ashamed...  (Read 10219 times)

Offline harrydog

• Master
Re: I am so ashamed...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »
I can't speak for Mike but I always take looks into consideration. To an extent, the gun you chose is an extension of your own character. There are just way to many guns that are functional and attractive to choose "functional and ugly."

When it came down to deciding which plastic nightmare to choose I went with the one that was not only one of the best at filling my needs, but also looked best to me.  :)
Fair enough. But...nightmare?

"As much as I hate to admit it, the gun that fit the bill and did not cost an arm and a leg was the Springfield XD-9.  
 It has a 17 shot capacity, is SA striker fired, has a passive grip and trigger safety, has the potential for a light or laser sight, and only cost me $450.
 All these features combined was enough to make me swallow my pride and admit that a gun I would not usually give the time to was the best choice."

Your comments above just strike me as being really haughty and somewhat immature. You hate to admit it and you had to swallow your pride to own such a gun.  But like it or not, many of the polymer guns out there are not merely good, but actually excellent weapons, often times more durable and reliable than the metal framed competition.
I can understand someone not liking the idea of a polymer framed weapon and not owning any of them because they prefer steel, aluminum, titanium or scandium, but to say you're ashamed of owning one and that you had to swallow your pride makes you appear shallow and insecure - like you have a need to impress others with the guns that you own. That may not be the situation in your case, but that's the impression given.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »
Hello Everyone,

GUYS.  I think we are takeing everyone else's comments a little to seriously.

This is just MY and SOME others opinion:   I prefer to buy functional and pretty over functional and ugly but that is just me.  Whatever floats your boat if just fine with me.  I completely understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  We all like what we like.

Now, so far I have read 2 guesses that were incorrect, buuuzzzzz.

I will give you all a hint:  the gun in question is not available just yet.  More guesses anyone?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »
[size=16]Your comments above just strike me as being really haughty and somewhat immature. You hate to admit it and you had to swallow your pride to own such a gun.[/size]
How is that "haughty" or "immature."

I made a decision based on needs and reality and then admitted my personal tastes had to be put aside to get the gun that best filled those needs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:37:37 PM by PlayboyPenguin »
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »

Now, so far I have read 2 guesses that were incorrect, buuuzzzzz.

I will give you all a hint:  the gun in question is not available just yet.  More guesses anyone?

Mike

OK, how about that new variant of the FN FS2000, dubbed the "Standard" edition, which I understand is about to hit the US civilian market:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:54:19 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
Richard,

Another buuzzzzz.

Hint #2    it is a bullpup.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:23 AM »
Mike:

Then I'm guessing it's the Kel-Tec RFB High Efficiency Rifle (Rifle, Forward-ejection, Bullpup), the prototype for which was introduced at the 2007 Shot Show:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:37:04 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »
The truth is the best house gun is a 12ga pump, 870 marine magnum in my case, loaded w/#4 buck! I was looking for a 9mm carbine recently and after alot of research settled on the Rock River Arms AR15 9mm because the fire control is very familiar to me and also it can be converted to 223 fairly quickly and without alot of trouble. :-*
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »
Looks like a PS90?

But I know they are on the market..

AUG is supposed to be coming out with a "domestic" model..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 02:10:34 PM »

AUG is supposed to be coming out with a "domestic" model..
I had a Steyr AUG that I sold some years ago. It's the only gun that I really regret selling.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
That one must hurt; selling an SP-89 would fall in the same
category.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!  Richard guessed it.   They are gonna be EXPENSIVE, about 2K.  Unlike the other guns mentioned this one is chambered in 308 Winchester and available in 3 barrel lengths, up to 30" I think, which would also make it an outstanding 'deer' rifle.  Some may hunt deer with 223 but I will not and personally frown on anyone who does.  The 223 is a decent 'varmint' cartrige but no good for harvesting animals  of the larger eating kind. :)

NEWT,

I beg to differ.  The best house defense gun is the Mossberg 590.  The safety is far superior to the safety on the 870 expecially for someone who may not be all that enthuisiastic about guns like a wife maybe.  Forward fire, back safe, and easily operated with the thumb.

My opinions only,  Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
Mike reread my post " the best home defense gun is a 12ga pump" , If the Mossburg works best for you, good ! Happy New Year!
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 07:57:28 PM »
Newt,

I apologize.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »
The truth is the best house gun is a 12ga pump, 870 marine magnum in my case, loaded w/#4 buck! * * *  :-*

Newt:

We think a lot alike -- Winchester 1300 Marine Defender in my case:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 05:37:10 PM »
Nice boat defense gun, Richard, unless the BGs have 50 mm.
Not too bad around Critter Gulch, either.