Author Topic: electrical tape over the muzzle?  (Read 9925 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
electrical tape over the muzzle?
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:18:06 AM »
Does this seem like a good idea to anyone else?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: electrical tape over the muzzle?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:49:04 AM »
when in the field hunting , I always had electrical tape over the rifles muzzle. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:15:03 AM »
My AR15 has a plastic cap that slips over and protects the flash suppressor. It is a "shoot through" if there is no time to remove it.

I had not thought of using electrical tape on a pistol. An interesting subject. I will watch this thread.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:41:48 PM »
Sorry, but I am missing the point; what is it?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »
yah, why a pistol?  Tom

Offline Danomite

• Officer Frosty
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26:26 AM »
I think if you use a good quality pocket holster with an enclosed bottom, you would not have the need.
Just check the bore for obstructions every week or so....with the gun Unloaded please!

I often use tape over the muzzle of my duty gun, as If I have to walk through the snow, and happen to fall into a soft spot, the open bottom of the holster will allow the muzzle of the pistol to plug with snow.  This has happened to me several times before I wised up, and taped my muzzle.

If I am out and about with a rifle, the muzzle gets taped.  There is no affect on accuracy, as the tape is blown off before the bullet hits it.

This is my first post, and am entertaining the purchase of an R9.  Thanks for the fourm.

1PETER 5:8
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour;"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:29:52 AM »
Danomite:

Permit me to welcome to the Forum and to recommend that you acquire one of what I consider to be the ultimate in pocket pistols, the Rohrbaugh R9.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 12:37:02 PM »
Danomite:

What Richard said, and welcome...

Instead of tape, I use a pliable soft plastic cap / plug I make that snugs just inside the muzzle. It molds itself to the rifling holding it in place, but pops out easily when I fire the gun. It keeps the dust out, and the oil film in.... no adhesive residue!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:46:03 PM by shakermountain »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
Danomite, welcome to the forum, enjoy. I only use tape on the muzzle of a rifle when hunting. Tom

Offline Danomite

• Officer Frosty
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 04:59:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome  guys!
I just had a thought: what about those disposable ear plugs?
I think they would work just fine for anything under .50 cal.

I live in rural Alaska, and when I am out and about, I have a rifle, even if I'm not hunting.  Heck, I carry a rifle just to walk to the hardware store.  Paranoid? nope.  Just don't want to be bear bait.  So the muzzle is always taped.   I might try the earplugs and see how that works.
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour;"

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
 I can see it now in the Denali Register:
[size=13]"Bear Attack -  Hardware Errand Ends In Disaster as Local Man Fatally Wounds Grizzley With Earplug"[/size] ;D

Offline Danomite

• Officer Frosty
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 09:41:42 PM »
It's not the grizzlies I'm worried about.  It's the polar bears.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/danomite45/firearms/polarbear7-07.jpg

Offline marvin

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 02:44:38 AM »
Hi everyone
Tape over the bore works best in the field to keep out junk,but there are drawbacks to leaving a bore sealed.The main one is the risk of rust from condensation.This is especially true when the gun is taken from a cold environment into a warm one and the risk increases with the humidity.Example..hot cup of coffee into the cold,no sweat(ha ha).Cold glass of ice tea into the heat,moisture condenses on the outside of glass.Plug the muzzle and the lack of air circulation cuts down on the evaporation and you have rust.         Danomite,great picture.The rifle looks like a Jim West.I built a  444  and Jim helped me trick out the trigger.                                           Jeff

Offline Danomite

• Officer Frosty
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:53:22 AM »
Good eye, Jeff.
The rifle is a master guide co-pilot take down in .457 Mag.  It is a joy to shoot and carry.

to solve the condinsation problem, most folks up here leave their rifles in their arctic entries.  An arctic entry is sort of a mud room attached to the front of the house.  It is a place to get out of the wind, and is used for storage of freezers, shoes, coats, and of firearms.  They are often not heated, and allows for the firearms to be at a constant temp.  
your are right, it is not good to cover the bore for long term storage.  In fact, for many reasons, it's best to store a long gun muzzle down.

Daniel

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 06:23:01 AM »
Danomite and all,

I was under the impression that Alaska was an 'open carry' state.  In other words, you strap it on your side for God and everyone to see.
I have read to many stories about the Bears up there.  If you carry anything less than a 357, all you can do is piss a whole bunch of wildlife off.

I lived in Alaska in 70-72.  I hear it is a whole different world after the pipeline went in.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member