Author Topic: R317 for sale on Gunbroker  (Read 326 times)

Offline Wanderer

R317 for sale on Gunbroker
« on: February 14, 2024, 11:34:27 PM »
R317 is up for sale on Gunbroker starting at $1499  with blue grips

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036301312

Online MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: R317 for sale on Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 12:02:10 AM »
Sounds like the seller did some research on here.  Active member??

The Production Guns (R Prefix):
The "R" prefix was added when some minor Revisions were made to the slide (thickened) and possibly some other internal tweaks. Numbers were started over at "R101"
#<=R100 were reserved for the factory, again I don't know if all the frames were made or if they just reserved the numbers. "R101" is has been referred to as the first "production" gun after the initial revisions.The grey anodizing on these R Prefix guns is a bit darker and less "plum colored" than the pre production guns.  A few hundred of these R Prefix guns were made in Farmingdale, NY before the factory moved to Deer Park, NY. They produced about 600 total sets of blue carbon fiber grips (including the ones used on the pre production guns) so a lot of the earlier R Prefix guns will have the blue carbon fiber grips. This is also the time when BATF instructed Rohrobauh that they could only use the "R9" designation on the slide regardless if the gun had sights or not. Since the frames and the slides were hand fitted together some of the earlier R prefix guns with sights will have the "R9s" designation while others wont. There are no hard cutoffs serial number wise where before a certain number you would be guaranteed to have a Farmingdale, or blue grips, or the "R9s" designation it just seems to have come down to the luck of the draw - there are some pretty low Farmingdale, NY guns with black CF grips, and there are some pretty late guns with the "R9s" designation. For the most part though the lower the number the better chance the gun has more of the early features. There were also about 12 silver frame guns made in the early R prefix period- it was difficult to get the silver anodizing correct so only a few guns were made before the factory no longer offered the option.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 10:20:40 AM »
Couldn't sleep last night after seeing it, lol.  If that gun had sites and a "S" it prob would have a bid already 😂

I still think only 300 blues were done and not 600.

Online MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 01:27:03 PM »
I like my non-S model.  IIRC only about 10% were this type, making it a rare bird. 

It's not as hard to shoot accurately as you might think.  Modicum of practice and you will get the hang of it.  For the distances these guns are designed for, it's ideal.

JMHO.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 04:13:53 PM »
I like the non S guns also but just not as much.  I think I have 2 or 3 without sites and maybe a extra slide that's slick too!  That being said the little bumps on the S has never gotten in my way or snagged anything. 

The script S marking on the slide, being super rare, is prob why I like those the most.