Author Topic: Sandy Hook...no AR rifle??  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Sandy Hook...no AR rifle??
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:11:40 AM »
message removed
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:34:30 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Sandy Hook...no AR rifle??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »
Not true..That was early media "mahem"
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
Not true..That was early media "mahem"

ok I'll delete it....thanks
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/31221-update-state-police-confirm-weapons-used-in-newtown-shootings/

UPDATE: State Police Confirm Weapons Used in Newtown Shootings - January 21, 2013

Connecticut State Police released a statement on January 18th attempting to clarify the confusion generated by the inconsistent and irresponsible media reporting following the Sandy Hook elementary shooting in Newtown on December 14th.

The released list of weapons sets the record straight on an issue that has driven the blogosphere to increasingly speculative lengths: exactly which weapons were used in the shooting?

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284&A=4226   

"In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:

#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round magazine

#2. Glock 10 mm handgun

#3. Sig-Sauer P226   9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:

#4. Izhmash Canta-12   12 gauge Shotgun    (seized from car in parking lot)

This case remains under investigation.

Lt. J. Paul Vance"

The Bushmaster .223 (not .233) can be assumed to be a semi-automatic rifle, although variants in fully automatic have been made for military and police purchasers. It is a “lightweight, small-caliber semi-automatic rifle, with a light recoil and a variety of optional barrel lengths and targeting/aiming devices.”

The Bushmaster .223 would fall under the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban legislation [Section 2(B)], since it has a detachable magazine (in this case, a 30-round magazine). The term “assault weapons” should be noted, since it appears to be politicized term used customarily to suit the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban legislation. The term is a redundancy, because there is no such thing as a “non-assault weapon.”

Nonetheless, numerous politicians have described so-called “military style” weapons using the term “assault weapon,” and various journalists have either picked up on the terms uncritically or  used them to further the political agenda of gun regulation. “Assault weapon” is also difficult to distinguish from “assault rifle,” another vague term that has been used to describe fully automatic weapons or rifles with self-selective fire.

[Read "NBC Admitted: No ‘Assault Rifle’ Used in Newtown Shooting."]
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/30208-nbc-admits-no-assault-rifle-used-in-newtown-shooting/

The press release also clarifies that two handguns were used in the shooting, not four handguns, as NBC reported after ‘confirming’ the information with numerous federal and state officials on live television after the shooting. It is unclear whether or not NBC issued a retraction, although it was declared false by some journalists.

In addition, while there were a number of early reports that an “assault rifle” was used in the shooting, CNN ran an update that a shotgun was in the trunk of the car, and not a rifle. Although there apparently is no “Canta-12,” there is a Russian model that translates to “Saiga-12” (as a Russian speaker, I can confirm this).

The Connecticut State Police thus hopefully resolves the confusion that had been created by the media’s haste to politicize a crisis. May the controversy be laid to rest along with the tragic victims of the shooting.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:03:06 AM by wildmanwill »

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »
Thanks for the info..........Jack
NRA Life Member

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »
Jack,
I really appreciate your posts, and am sure others will agree.  It is good of you to share information that you have found elsewhere.  Thank you, and well done sir.

I was suspicious of the "no AR" rumors on the internet, and pondered that they may have  even originated from the anti-gunners in an attempt to redirect the argument.

I believe that our position is solid, that the second amendment only assures that the government cannot infringe apon the inalienable rights of free citizens. Gun control is less about guns than about control. This is our country, we allow ourselves to be governed, but not ruled over by anyone. 

Was it the mayor of Chicago that said something like "you can't let any tragedy go to waste"?

Griff
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
NRA Life Member

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »
Thanks Griff....I have learned a lot on this site over the years...I try to post items I find interesting...educational...or just funny
NRA Life Member

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
current info

http://www.greenwichtime.com/newtownshooting/article/State-Police-All-26-Newtown-victims-shot-with-4220548.php

Interesting quote from Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal appeared in the article above

"There's no question that the AR-15 was used, the Bushmaster shot those children with multiple rounds and was instrumental in the massacre," Blumenthal told Hearst Newspapers on Thursday after a Capitol Hill news conference.

"The Bushmaster shot those children"...and here I thought it was Adam Lanza who shot them and who was instumental in the massacre.  I guess I had it all wrong.  I forgot that according to these folks guns kill people.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:51:09 PM by wildmanwill »