Author Topic: ALLELUIA!  (Read 8422 times)

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: ALLELUIA!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 06:38:36 PM »
Personally, instead of the .45 and 7 or the 9mm and 18 -- I have opted for the .45 and 18 with my ParaOrdnance P-14-45 with the extended capacity magazine that holds 17+1 .45 caliber cartridges!   ;D     :P ;)
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 11:43:54 PM »
Hi Duane,

It is a pleasure to debate someone who views the debate as you do:  viewing it as an intellectual exercise, and having the ability to recognize just how much we do agree on and how narrow the areas of disagreement really are.  One person's well-informed choice often reflects circumstances that someone else can't account for.

Can you really think of any self-defense situations where time isn't sucn a big limiting factor?

For all of my advocating of the .45, I should point out that my present preferred carry gun is a Glock 26 9mm, and that more often than not my real "primary" is a North American Arms .380.  The Cor-Bon in the Glock approaches the stopping power of a .357 magnum, so I am not worried about it doing its part if I do mine.  A 4 to 4 1/4" barrel .45 with an officer-size grip is on my shopping list (I still go back and forth about whether I should get a Glock 30 instead), but will have to take a back seat to priority #1, which is something for my wife to carry.  Haven't decided if the .45 must also take a back seat to a Rohrbaugh yet, and given how heavily I rely on pocket guns, it just may.

I can count on one hand the number of times per year I actually carry my full-size 1911 concealed.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 11:59:31 PM »
45acp is just - a 9mm on steroids! :D -  J/K.

Indeed Bill ... you and Duane have a very balanced attitude to this venerable debate ... and overall I guess we can say there is no right answer - never will be.  There are pro's and con's .. plusses and minuses .. always will be.  It is for the individual to ride with what he is most happy (and proficient) with.

I do place some importance on capacity but - find overall I do not choose my carry weapon soley on that parameter.  I mean ... here I am most of time as primary - toting my SP-101 ... a mere five shots!  But .... I know I can put em where it matters ...... plus the possible usefullness of the CT grips.

I recently bought a SW99 .. and so far having put some rounds thru find it a very satisfactory piece .... could well be I have yet another choice!  Decisions ..... decisions!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 10:06:53 AM »
Hi Mr. Jody Hudson,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get a 17 round magazine for your Para P-14-45? I would love to get one for my P-14 Limited.

Hi Chris,

What caliber did you get the S&W 99 in? I almost bought one several years ago when they first came out and I was given an opportunity to buy one gun at a big discount direct from S&W. I bought a titanium Airlite Centenial instead. I was impressed though with the S&W 99 I shot at the S&W Academy range. I should give some more thought to getting one, or maybe I should be thinking about spending the money on a bigger safe.

Frank

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 11:20:06 AM »
Haha Frank .... I need a bigger safe too!  Tho no extra space to accomodate one if truth known!

The SW99 is 9mm .... and I find has a good ''feel''.  I am using the larger size palm swell.  At 20 yds or so, it is not too hard to keep all hits within 3" .... very accurate gun, and thus far very pleased with it.  Would like some hi-caps for it!

BTW I have a Para P12-45 .. which I keep meaning to send to Para Ordnanace . it is a dog .. not at all reliable.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 12:07:21 PM »
I bought all of my Paras used.  Shoot them a lot, but I guess some people have problems with them as the resale value of them is horrid, for the seller, and good for me.

I got all of my maxcap magazines in gun purchases.  

shooterjb, there is no name on the extensions I have for Para magazines.  One is a plus two and one is a plus three, if I recall.

Chris, send it back or send it to me please...  ;D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 12:54:35 PM »
[size=13]Chris, send it back or send it to me please...[/size]

Hahaha .... yeah .... hmmmm ....... :D

I must actually get around to sending it off ... I bought it used but it had had little use (now I think I know why! :( ).  The only used gun I bought sight-unseen that has proved to be somewhat of a lemon.  Pity really because it has a lovely trigger, shoots well re accuracy too.

With all the other pieces I have, I guess this one's sitting in a rear corner of the safe is no biggie .... tho periodically I spot it lurking in the shadows and feel frustrated that it is not 100%.  So yeah .. must engage ''carrier mode'' and get the danged thing shipped off... to PA BTW, not JH just yet!! ..... ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW also Jody .. Jamie has the range (W&W) booked for Oct 30 .. you probably knew but thought I'd mention.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 12:56:20 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 12:57:28 PM »
No - no - no, Frank.  I was not offended in the least.  I took it in the spirit it was intended.  The "spray and pray" rant was just an aside.   ;D

Bill -- no, I think that time is almost always a limiting factor, but I also think that the most frequent number of targets is going to be "1."  In that sense, you can generally engage that target until it stops.  The .45 may kill the attacker faster, but even with a 9mm, he is going to be pretty busy receiving the impact of 9mms until I deem it adviseable to stop shooting.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 01:03:33 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 06:39:40 PM »
I will see you there Chris!  ;D