Author Topic: NOT GUN RELATED  (Read 4789 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
NOT GUN RELATED
« on: September 07, 2004, 09:02:15 PM »
but I had my R9 with me as I picked up our new **56K generator** .. No more power outages for me, just the gasoline shortage after power is lost..I am now buying 5 gal cans for that ..
RJ=

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: NOT GUN RELATED
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 09:52:46 PM »
I suggest that once you get through this batch of Hellicanes, that you get some Stabil; ACE hardware carries it, to stabilize your gasoline in case it sits for more than a year or so... time passes more quickly than we think.  And once an electical emergency has begun... is not the time to be pulling a little carb. apart and degunking it... I also like to add some alcohol paint thinner to the stored gasoline to make certain that any moisture in the gas, is well mixed with the gas.  The alcohol mixes with any slightest ammount of water that would otherwise settle in the gas.  I suggest about a pint of alcohol per 5 gallons of gas.

Voice of experience...  :o
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 12:55:04 AM »
RJ,

You planning on having it wired in to your house circuit with a transfer switch?  I think I am with mine, rather than multiple extension cords everywhere...

56Kw!!  Geez, you can run the whole neighborhood!  Makes my 6Kw Coleman look inadequate....  Guess you want to run the AC too, huh?
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 06:30:49 AM »
I think this is the proper forum to say this...

SIZE.... ::) DOES MATTER!   ;D :o
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
5600Re: NOT GUN RELATED
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 07:07:26 AM »
 Correction on generator size, should read 5.6K  or 5600watts.  With 8600 watts surge capacity. That's a litle more reasonable.  
Thanks for the tips, I had known about the *Stabil fuel additive*,  it is good.  I am going to buy a 6000 BTU, window mounted, room Air Conditioner,  for one of the bedrooms, so I can have comfort in one room for sleeping. I am thinking of the hard wiring also.

Generators are in Very high demand right now, I just got lucky
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 07:13:13 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 07:02:08 PM »
For the long term, if you are going to use a generator, you really need to wire in a transfer switch. It will protect the house and protect the linemen as well as the neighbors

Dave

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 01:26:24 AM »
Be sure to get a good heavy chain for it...
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 11:43:08 PM »
Be sure to get a good heavy chain for it...

We haven't moved to our not yet finished FL home yet, but we were warned that the air conditioner/heat pump unit needs to be strapped down to a concrete slab or else someone will steal it!  So I have an agreement with the builder to anchor it to concrete slab such that it has to be literally taken apart to be stolen....

So we are planning plenty of home defense.  Lights, alarms, double lock dead bolt locks, dogs, warning signs, fence, and oh ya, well armed home owner!
- Dan

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 12:26:13 AM »
Geeze DM.... Where are you building?  Miami?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 12:04:01 AM »
I agree -- we all have bad parts of town, I guess...

But my part of Florida (where the majority still speaks English) doesn't seem to have a rash of A/C compressor thefts.  ;D
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 09:12:16 AM »
Well, we still have not heard from Flyandsuba, I hope he, and his family are OK.

But on a good note, my Insurance adjuster was here yesterday, and gave us some good news. We are going to get a new roof on the house and the work shop. That is if Prudential does what he put in for.... ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 09:14:02 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 10:10:50 AM »
RJ - I too am most concerned over fly's well being .... tho he was certainly better prepared than some I am sure.  I am thinking for now that ... the power aspect aside ..... he is most probably ex communicado right now if lines are down.  Just hopeful we will here something sooner rather than later.

Good news on the insurance .... tho heaven knows how the industry can handle stuff on this scale.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
NOT GUN RELATED
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 10:58:08 AM »
>>I have a 5000 watt generator which is hard wired to a transfer box to run most of my house (I use a lot of electricity for one of my businesses)...this includes two refrigerators, a freezer, and the airconditioner/heater.  I keep the generator locked down in a shed...takes me five minutes to roll it into place, lock it down, and fire it up.  Living in the Washington, DC area (Northern Virginia) I feel a generator is a must in this day and age...TW<<

P.S...is there a spell check feature on this forum...?  Spell check is another thing I need to survive these days.  LOL...!