Author Topic: M&P Shield to be offered without safety  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: M&P Shield to be offered without safety
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »

What a great deal; I can leave my thumb safety to the off position and look just like the new guy. These people are brilliant.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »

Actually this was my one major complaint about this pistol.  It doesn't need a thumb safety.  While I can ignore it -- that is not ideal, and leaves open a potential for a problem with accidental engagement.   I think this is a nice move for S&W and I would definitely buy mine sans safety. 

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
I'll keep mine with the safety on it because it has a very smooth and excellent trigger. I wasn't serious about carrying it with the safety off but some people do that. It would surprise me if the new safetyless model had a decent trigger on it but that can be corrected by a competent pistol smith.

This latest move of marketing genius should clear the existing inventory before the new models appear with no thumb safety:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2014/04/14/smith-wesson-now-shipping-non-microstamped-mp-shield-pistols-california/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:54:30 PM by tracker »