Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Rohrbaugh R9 (all variations)

Gun fired without trigger pulled

(1/4) > >>

dddonkey:
OK long story short, I was putting my weapon on the shelf after running to the store. While placing the weapon on the shelf it fell to the ground and landed muzzle first, straight up and down and discharged a round. I have never had an accidental discharged ever! What really gets me is the weapon was holstered before, during, and after it discharged. The only thing I can think of it discharging was landing vertical. The trigger area was and is clear of any obstruction and the holster covers the trigger completely.

The gun has maybe 250 rounds through it and the current recoils spring only has 50-60 rounds. The gun is carried lots (everyday) and cleaned monthly. I bought the gun from Tom Watson new when I returned home from Afghanistan. I am very concerned and not sure if I can trust the weapon any more, as I fall something due to spine issues from the military. What concerns me it the weapon went off, while holstered. Thank God my wife and kids where not hurt, only the floor.

Any ideas how to fix this, or should I move on to a new carry option..................... I have carried the R9 almost daily since late 2014. 

Thanks for any and all help.

MRC:

I got to be somewhat of an email friend with Arne Boberg of Boberg Arms.

When he was developing his pistol, he bought a variety of small DAO, hammer fired pistols to get some ideas on different design features.  He had trouble with his pistol and the drop test.  He looked at a lot of pistols to see how others were doing it.

One thing he said was the R9 he had would not pass the test you just described.

How to fix it is a juggling act with firing pin spring, firing pin weight, hammer weight, mainspring weight, and trying to maintain a descent trigger pull.

dddonkey:
Thanks for the reply, It was a fluke it fell, and an even bigger fluke it fell strait vertical on the muzzle. Still scared the snot out of me......

MikeInTexas:
Glad no one was injured.

I think this kind of incident is possible with a lot of firearms. I'm glad that the specific sort of parameters that cause this type of discharge don't happen often.

MRC:
On their 1911's Colt went to a firing pin block to meet the test in their Series 80 pistols.  To the chagrin of many of us target shooters it affected the trigger so on most target guns you end up paying someone to dismantle it.

On the new pistols Colt is making and calling them by the old Series 70 they have gone to a titanium firing pin and tuned it with the firing pin spring to make the drop test supposedly.

If you look at the hammer on your R9 you will see that it is recessed into slide to eliminate this problem if you drop it the other end first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version