Author Topic: Similar Holster for Rohrbaugh?  (Read 463 times)

Offline Wanderer

Similar Holster for Rohrbaugh?
« on: February 07, 2024, 03:38:10 PM »
Does anyone happen to know of anyone selling something similar for the Rohrbaugh?    I've been looking for holsters that have a spare magazine pocket,  but I haven't had much luck so far.

This is my Seecamp holster

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Similar Holster for Rohrbaugh?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 07:01:07 PM »
Well, now I am going to offer an opinion you didn't ask for...  ;)

Keeping your spare mag in your strong side pocket (with your gun) is awkward.  In the event of a reload, you need to transfer the gun to your weak hand, fish out the magazine, and either load in that manner or swap things around in your hands again. 

That being said, an awkward magazine is better than no magazine, but just be sure you have given some thought to how to deploy it.

I'm sure you have already thought of this, and if so just tell me to mind my own business!

-Duane
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 08:17:31 PM »
I agree with you, Duane. Carrying a separate magazine in the weak side is much more efficient should the need for a reload occur. I have always carried a spare magazine in a Hedley magazine holster.

Offline Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 08:27:06 PM »
That is a good point,   my thoughts and considerations are as follows,  note I am not that practiced at mag changes using the european style on the Seacamp or the Rohrbaugh.  I have a lot of practice to do before I will feel proficient at these mag changes.   Ideally I will have 3 magazines,  if I can find another one.  so one would be on weak side.

I figure that if you are firing either of these you are within 20 feet.  So you have 7 shots to hit the target and break contact to get to cover. 
I can shoot with either hand although I prefer dominate hand

I'm also bad about picking up everything so having a spare with the gun at least means I have a spare,  for those times I can't
 figure out where I put the other one.

I'll probably end up getting a pocket carry holster and an inside the waistband holster.   And maybe even one of those sneaky pete's but I'm on the fence on those.  I like to have options depending on what i'm doing.   A lot of time I end up carrying a loose magazine or two in my pockets but that didn't seem like a good idea with the Seecamp and i'm guessing for Rohrbaugh as well.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:11:53 AM by Wanderer »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 09:26:50 AM »
Just my opinion:  “Loose” mags in a pocket are at risk for picking up lint and other detritus that would not be welcome….a mag holster, even in a pocket, would be preferred I would think. 

I have owned R9’s and LWS 32’s for years.  Although I usually carry an extra mag, I don’t foresee a likely combat reload, specifically because those particular firearms are belly guns used at very close ranges.  If the 7 rounds loaded are ineffective at that range, the proximity of the assailant makes a reload unlikely especially with the heel mounted mag release.  A “New York reload” would certainly be a better option. 

If the distance is greater, the likelihood of an effective shot goes WAY down making a strategic withdrawal a very valid option.  When I think I may be put in a situation requiring aimed fire at 15 or more yards, I usually carry a P365 with a 12+1 mage and a 15 round spare.  A good knife may be the other strong consideration for a CQB “reload”.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Wanderer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 10:42:36 AM »
One thing I have noticed on a few of the magazine cases for pocket carry is that they tend to be a bit tight which makes it hard to extract the magazine without some assistance.    On larger magazines, I've seen that sometimes you can flip  off the cover and let it drop, but for smaller magazines, they don't seem to do that.  So I may need the assistance of the other hand anyway.

Now with belt carry you could have the spare magazine on the opposite side attached to the belt which would solve the issue of using 2 hands to free it.

All of this is dependent on the threat model you are working with at the time.   If I am going someplace where I am very concerned that I might need reloads I'm probably going to be carrying the Walther PPQ with the paddle release and larger capacity.  But then I'm stuck with IWB carry.  Which would be greatly aided if I were willing to wear suspenders.

I did find the holster from Stellar Rigs that is similar and I like it,   but it has the magazine on the grip side instead of the front side.     If the magazine is on the grip side I'd like it more canted way from the grip I think.

What I would really like is a holster with the magazine on the outside of the holster along the gun.  This would break up any printing pretty well I think.  Might work better for the Seecamp though as width could become an issue.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 06:16:27 PM »
Wanderer, contact member 'Brian' here to see if he can make you what you want.  He's got a good number of posts that show his work for the Rohrbaugh and I think you will be impressed with the quality.

Offline Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 09:57:55 PM »
I'll take a look,  I think the person who makes that one i posted above is also a member of the forum.

Offline Wanderer

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 09:39:19 PM »
Decided to order the Hedley limited edition,  and the back pocket holster to start with.  I'd still like to try out the Steller Rig and looks like they are still producing them.  Currently it fits in the remora I have so at least I have something available.