Author Topic: R9s vs. R380s  (Read 7291 times)

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
R9s vs. R380s
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Just joined the forum and looking for some comparisons.  I am a police officer out in NJ and was looking for a reliable, and concealable off duty firearm to carry in the summer.  While I was originally considering the R9s, I have toyed with the idea of stepping down into the R380s. Here are some of  the reasons....

1.  Have to qualify 2x year with running minimally 100 rounds per qualification (60 day, 40 night).  Possible fatigue from the extra recoil using the 9mm vs. the 380.  Also, I have to shoot from 25 yards out.   I have heard that the 380 is easier to control at further distances, esp. with those small sights. 

2.  This will be the first gun my wife will ever shoot, and will be the kept home gun while I am at work.  My off duty is an HK Compact .45, but that I use while in uniform going back and forth to work, as well as on duty for road details.  Needless to say, I think the .380 will be more manageable for her to practice with, as well as fire under a real life stress situation (GOD FORBID!!). 

3.  With qualifications, and running a separate combat course, I would assume that the 9mm would generate more heat than the 380, and don't want to overstress the gun getting it too hot without a cool down period, that this gun apparently requires. 

Also.....a lot of my fellow officers are carrying the Sig 238.  Nice gun, but have seen some feed problems/jams.  Originally I was contemplating the Kimber Solo.  Never shot it, but dry fired it at a LGS, and the trigger was nice, and felt good to hold.  Upon further investigation into this gun, I have heard/seen a host of problems, slide locking back after each shot, peening on the slide from the barrel rubbing up on it.  While this may be a nice gun someday, I don't want to be a test dummy.  Seems like all of these compact 9's (minus the R9) have some sort of problem.  Seems like less issues with the 380 round in the small gun world. 

FYI.....I contacted Rohrbaugh and spoke with Maria, she kinda agreed with going with the smaller caliber with my current needs/situation.  She also said that if I placed a new order today, the wait time is a few weeks for the R380s. 

Whether I get the R9s or the R380s, I will send it out to Robar and get their NP3+ coating and mags done. 

Any thoughts, inputs, comments would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks  in advance.
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline thor447

• Master
Re: R9s vs. R380s
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:32:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I think you're already headed down the right path.  Normally I'd suggest going with the R9, however in your case the 380 sounds like the smarter decision.  Since you're going to be putting several rounds downrange, fatigue will be a factor, along with your wife ability to handle the firearm, the 380 is the obvious choice.  I have fired the R380 and it is just like butter my friend.  The R9 is not the most pleasant firearm I've ever shot, and really would not be my recommendation for your spouse's first outing with a pistol.  The R380 is just so incredibly smooth I really can't imagine either of you having any issues with it what so ever.  And to counterpoint any naysayers (not on this forum), there are several fantastic options for good defense .380 rounds that stopping power will not be an issue.  I'm still trying to make a friend of mine understand how my .32 Hydra Shocks in my Seecamp have more power at impact than several larger caliber rounds.

I think at longer ranges you'll have more success with the R380 than you will with the R9.  Granted, these firearms, or any pocket pistol for that matter are not tack drivers.  They are not built for that purpose.   The gun is not designed to take down a runner at 25 yards, and you'll be hard pressed to find any firearm of this size which allows that sort of accuracy.

Good luck and post pictures of you new pup if you decide to get it.  There are several R9 pics on here and we are lacking some good R380 photos!

-Adam
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:49:11 AM »
I would go with the K380, easier for the wife to shoot often. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
Thx Adam.  Like I mentioned...I already have a very good off duty with my HK USP compact .45, but its tough to conceal in summer time.   Some have been pushing towards the new S&W Shield...which does seem like s good choice as well, especially for range qualifications. 

Crazy as it sounds, there is something drawing me towards this gun.  Maybe it's pocketability and craftsmanship, but either way like someone mentioned, it has soul!!

I will probably place an order within the next 2 months, with the thought of getting the CF blue VZ grips, mag ext piece, and eventually the NP3 coating after I put a few hundred rounds through it.   

My only concern is that after making the aforementioned mods, I am not going to want to beat this beauty up to the extent that my qualifications demand.  With 10 years left to retire, at 2 quals a year, I will minimally put 2,000 rounds through this gun. 

Unless I buy a 2nd one to carry and abuse, and one to just use leisurely and keep in the safe.  Decisions decisions decisions. 
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline billib

• Expert
Re: R9s vs. R380s.....Coat it baby.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
*edited*
Hey Everyone,
Whether I get the R9s or the R380s, I will send it out to Robar
and get their NP3+ coating and mags done. 
Thanks.
Hi dmunofo, it sounds as though you may be somewhat
familiar with various gun coatings. I have been thinking
about getting my pistol coated with say, NP3 or NP3+
for the Frame and Poly T-2 in black for the Slide. Right
now my R9s has a matte stainless Slide and a Black frame.
I think the coatings will correct my mistake and serve to
protect the PUP as well. I'm not terribly impressed with
most coatings but the Poly T-2 and Robar seem modern
and worthwhile. Could you possibly expand on why you
prefer to get your gun(s) coated and I'm curious as to
why the coating on the magazines? Is that really necessary
especially since its protected buy the pistol.
THANKS!!!

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:19 AM »
Hey Billib,

The NP3 coating is like adding Teflon to your gun.  Coating the inner workings could potentially help with any FTE and/or FTF issues.  I have been told by others here that you can practically run the gun dry (which I would never do anyway).  After a light range day you can probably run a rag through the inner workings and pick up a good amount of carbon without using chemicals ( I think I read that somewhere on this forum). 

Unless your are near the ocean or salt environment, the NP3 + is not necessary...not worth the extra $$$.  Coating the mags will not only protect them better, but will help with cleaning as well. 

Also...my gun will probably be one of the more widely used guns here on the forum..with carrying off duty and qualifying 2x a year..I will be putting minimally @ 200 - 300 rounds a year.  The NP3 coating for me is for durability and functionality.  my Rohrbaugh will be ". Carried often...shot often". 

The Poly T-2 coating seems good, but it's new.  I don't think anyone here on the forum has used it on the Rohrbaugh.  I know guys use Bob Cogan for the gunsmithing....and I heard he does awesome work, but has a long wait list.  For me the Robar NP3 seems like the best option. 

Hope this helps

Dom

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »
It helps to here from real people and not
just sales literature etc.......Thanks!
Hey Billib,
I hope this helps
Hey Billib,

The NP3 coating is like adding Teflon to your gun.  Coating the inner workings could potentially help with any FTE and/or FTF issues.  I have been told by others here that you can practically run the gun dry (which I would never do anyway).  After a light range day you can probably run a rag through the inner workings and pick up a good amount of carbon without using chemicals ( I think I read that somewhere on this forum). 

Unless your are near the ocean or salt environment, the NP3 + is not necessary...not worth the extra $$$.  Coating the mags will not only protect them better, but will help with cleaning as well. 

Also...my gun will probably be one of the more widely used guns here on the forum..with carrying off duty and qualifying 2x a year..I will be putting minimally @ 200 - 300 rounds a year.  The NP3 coating for me is for durability and functionality.  my Rohrbaugh will be ". Carried often...shot often". 

The Poly T-2 coating seems good, but it's new.  I don't think anyone here on the forum has used it on the Rohrbaugh.  I know guys use Bob Cogan for the gunsmithing....and I heard he does awesome work, but has a long wait list.  For me the Robar NP3 seems like the best option. 

Hope this helps

Dom

Dom

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
how long does it take to get a 380 from rohrbaugh