Author Topic: Why in the world would anyone...  (Read 16230 times)

Offline Frenchy

Why in the world would anyone...
« on: July 17, 2004, 10:42:54 AM »
...spend this kind of money on a pocket pistol.  :o

Now!...Before anyone gets too incensed at this statement...My question is just to get a feeling of the rationale behind your purchase.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Why in the world would anyone...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 12:04:50 PM »
When you want the very best...... ;D
RJ=

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 12:39:40 PM »
I only carry pocket guns.  I will carry it daily.  I value guns that are really well made. I value guns that are small, thin, and light.  I am left-handed so I value not having useless righty controls that just make it thicker.  It has the build quality of an H&K PSP and is almost as easy to carry as a Kelspec.
I trust the 9mm round's stopping power and it's cheap practice ammo.  32ACP ammo is a rip off.  380ACP is better but nothing is as cheap as 9mm.
It's a jewel, high-end fit and finish. If you like the keltec concept but want something with more aesthetic appeal, i.e.,Keltec 3AT is too el cheapo looking for you.
Bottom line: IF A GUN IS MORE THAN JUST A TOOL TO YOU, otherwise get the keltec P3AT
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 02:05:49 PM »
I accept the logic of both of you. To me, it makes sense. Did either of you consider the Kahr PM9 instead, and if not..why not?
I am carrying the KT P-32 as of two days ago. No holster yet..just loose in front pocket (I'm a lefty too, Justin!)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 02:21:34 PM »
I have a Kahr PM-9 that rides in my SUV, in a gun rug.  The Kel-Tec, P- 3AT is what I carry in a holster of my design. The Roughbaugh is the next logical step in my quest to be arrned at all times. I also have a safe full of revolvers and various small pistols that I have  evolved thru. But I am a holster maker, so that goes with it...they all get used to pattern holsters.  

I would have more wifes too,, if the law would allo.........No, forget that!!!  ::)     ;) :D :o :'(
RJ=

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 03:25:04 PM »
I would have more wifes too,, if the law would allo.........No, forget that!!!

We're both getting to old for that silliness, RJ!  ::)

Offline Mudboy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 08:30:12 PM »
Since somebody asked, I ORDERED (don't have yet) my R9S to fill niche in my pistols that only it can fill.  The next size up is my stainless PPK/S, followed closely by a 340PD.  I wanted something that is smaller than either of those, yet reliable and of a caliber that stops sufficiently retards forward momentum.  And I can't afford an LM-4............
"Sooner or later we must abandon all hope for a better yesterday"

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 09:23:49 PM »
I can't help wondering what that LM-4 is like to shoot. Anyone know? It's a small .45ACP that is hand-cycled, and if I remember correctly, it had some sort of "blow-forward" action to help tame the recoil?  ???

Just so all of us are on the same page, it was originally called the Semmerling, went out of production, but was reintroduced as the "Simmerling" in a very limited production (probably made only on order) by American Derringer. I think we could buy a couple of Rohrbaughs for what the LM-4 costs.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 09:35:24 PM »
I posted the following on another board when someone asked why I (and others) were excited about the R9...

Here's my evolution in thinking on various firearms, and pocket carry.

First, I prefer a full-sized kinda gun for carry in most circumstances. My favorite carry gun is an all-steel Colt Combat Commander that Marianne Carniak (local gunsmith) customized. At times when I want something a little smaller/lighter I carry a SIG P239.

I've noticed, though, that sometimes I've wanted something I can carry in a pocket. In the summer, I'm often out-and-about in just a light t-shirt and shorts. Now, some people can conceal a full-sized pistol fine in that outfit, but I cannot - I can't stand to wear an inside-the-waistband holster without something between it and my skin (like a t-shirt, or "wife-beater" shirt). So, I'm forced to wear such a shirt with an additional covering shirt. Sometimes that's a bit warm, or inconvenient. For example, if I'm lounging around at home in a t-shirt and shorts, and the family decides to take a walk around the subdivision, I really don't feel like having to change half my clothing to carry. Thus, my desire for pocket pistols for those kind of situations. I can just go to the safe, retrieve a pocket pistol, and slip it into a pocket (inside a pocket holster, of course) and go.

Here's what I've gone through, in order, with the results:

Beretta Jetfire .25 ACP - tiny, but heavy, and I've never trusted that caliber. Beats throwing rocks, though.

S&W-made Walther PPK/s .380 ACP- great pistol, reliable, but *heavy* for pocket carry. Too heavy. Did I mention HEAVY?

S&W 340PD .357 Magnum - ahhh, nice. This is one of those Scandium super-lightweight revolvers. I still have this, and it gets a LOT of pocket time. Yep, recoil is significant (I only load .38 +P's in it), but it's so darn LIGHT that it's not dragging down my pants. The only disadvantage is that being a revolver, it's a bit thick, so printing can be an issue. And, only 5 shots. Still, my current favorite pocket companion.

Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 ACP - great little pistol, reliable. Light, and very flat - perfect for pocket carry. Kinda cheaply made, though, so despite it working well I just feel like it's "cheap." .380 isn't bad, but I'd like something a bit more serious - when I carry this instead of my Commander I really feel like I've compromised a ton.

So that's where I am. I carry the 340PD most of the time when I need to pocket-carry, but settle for the P-3AT when even the 340PD is too big. What I really need is a small, light, flat pistol (like the P-3AT) that is high quality and of a serious caliber (like the 340PD).

And that's where the Rohrbaugh comes in. Here's a high-quality pistol that's only the tiniest fraction larger than the P-3AT, and it shoots full-powered 9mm rounds - and holds 6+1 of them. You bet it's pricey, but hey, this will in effect replace TWO pistols of mine (which, in combined price, are as much or more than the Rohrbaugh R9s anyway).

That's why there's so much buzz about this pistol - those of us that appreciate or require pocket carry are finding that this may save us from having to compromise.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Mudboy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 01:06:34 AM »
The light weight of the 340PD does make for a near-perfect carry pistol, but the Crimson Trace grips on mine sometimes print through my shirt.  
"Sooner or later we must abandon all hope for a better yesterday"

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 02:33:00 AM »
I am a firm believer in having the best tools that I can afford. I carry firearms as a tool. Also, firearms are a hobby. I rarely spend this kind of money on a fun gun. But for a tool, on which I will stake my life on, $900 seems like a bargin.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 02:33:30 AM »
P.S. RJ--do you still carry your Seecamp?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 11:20:22 AM »
I still have it, but now carry the KT 3AT for all the reasons it was designed for.. Light, Thin, accurate,reliable, and inexpensive.  But the Rohrbaugh will replace it, for the logical reason,  it being the best available.
RJ=

Offline E36M3

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 11:56:25 AM »
It's often more expensive to not do it right the first time.  I almost ordered mine a few weeks ago, but wasn't 100% sure that the P-3AT wouldn't do it for me.  I've also consolidated my handguns to 9mm, .45 and .357/.38 so getting the Rohrbaugh will keep my ammo dump as is.
So...  An R9S will happen sometime later this year.  Right now I have a Kahr P9 for IWB carry with a FIST tuckable.  The R9S might take its place for pocket and IWB or I might keep both with the Rohrbaugh dedicated for pocket carry.  I tried the Kahr PM9, but it was too big for my pockets and the P9 works just as well inside the waistband, but has much better ergonomics.
In conclusion, the P-3AT is awesome, but I'd rather get the best thing possible right off the bat and probably save money in the long run.

Offline Frenchy

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 12:58:17 PM »
I would like to thank all of you for your comments. I would be hard pressed to argue with any of them.

I have owned a pretty good variety of guns in my life, but have culled them down to those that I actually use, and that serve a specific purpose.I carry a HS2000 as a duty piece because I've found that it does exactly what I want. There are better known and more ballyhooed guns on the market, but mine serves my needs.

The Kel-Tec P-32 is my first pocket pistol. It is a back-up on the job, and a primary other wise. I have really fallen in love with this simple concept. The idea of a more powerful package in a similarly small package, is very appealing to me.

The cost is not as important to me if I can rationalize it, based on what the gun will do. from what I can see and read, this would seem to be the epitome of concealed carry art. It would also seem to be the common sense answer to most personal defense scenarios.

It will be in my future, albeit toward the end of the year.