Author Topic: American Handgunner - Cover Story!  (Read 12244 times)

Offline FJC

• Expert
American Handgunner - Cover Story!
« on: July 13, 2004, 05:40:38 PM »
I just received my Sep/Oct issue of American Handgunner - and as rumored, the cover story (with a big old picture) is of the Rohrbaugh R9s!.

I haven't read the article yet, but it's full of pictures by Ichiro Nagata, so lots to enjoy. :)  Heck, even a Playboy-like two-page centerfold. :)
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: American Handgunner - Cover Story!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 05:53:32 PM »
Darn, now I have to go to the store and buy a copy.   ;)

Thanks for the *heads up*!
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »
Darn...

Been looking out for this and just checked the stores yesterday..

Have to make another run tomorrow..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 07:49:11 PM »
Dang - just gotten back from a ride into town .. and never thought to look.  I have so many mags and this is one I don't have regularly ... oh well .... have to try and find one.

One thought ..... do they have a web site? ... maybe the article will appear there eventually.

Hang on to your socks Eric ... things are gonna hot up a pace I suspect! :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 08:01:20 PM »
www.americanhandgunner.com

Checked out site..Issue is NOT current.. :(
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 08:29:02 PM »
Thx Brenden ... logical URL!!

I hope, if i don't get hard copy .. maybe the article will appear on line in a month, when next issue becomes the current one.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 08:33:33 PM »
Well, I'm a subscriber, and it just arrived today - might be a week even before they show up in stores.  I'm not sure how much earlier subscribers get them.

Author of the article likes the Federal 147gr rounds and the Gold Dot 124gr the best - and is claiming that he REPEATEDLY was able to get 2.5" groups at 25 yards, and 90% hits on a man-sized gong at 75 yards (and he blames the missed 10% on himself, not the gun)!
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 08:38:24 PM »
R9SCarry-May/June issue is at site... :(

FJC-I will be looking at newstands... :)

I know that some of my mags,particularly Handguns and G&A appear BEFORE I receive them at home...
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 08:59:01 PM »
Frank ..... well, I'd certainly go along with the Gold Dots .. tho the 115's myself.  But -
[size=16] REPEATEDLY was able to get 2.5" groups at 25 yards, and 90% hits on a man-sized gong at 75 yards[/size]
Call me skeptical but - even leaving aside my eyesight, and general shooting skills being way off top notch . I really do find that size group implausible from such a small gun.  That is in no way ''knocking'' the R9 in the least - just can't see it as possible ..... even from a properly set up Ransomes rest.  That sort of group size would be satisfying from, say - a Beretta 92F, or Hi-Power.

As for 75 yds gong .... well ... guess that is possible once aim-off determined .. I know because mine (for me) shoots left a bit - I'd need to ''home in'' on a gong and then ..... perhaps .... 90% can be done.

Would like to have been fly on wall at the test.   :P

(Did get two consequtive hits (casual sorta shots) on a gong at 200 yds with .454 on Saturday! .... different ball game tho eh! ;D )
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 10:06:06 PM »
I just double-checked the article.  He states:

"Then I found two loads it loved.  Federal's 147 grain sub-sonic "tactical" police load and the standard version both fed 100%, had modest recoil and were real tack-drivers.  I found if I did my part from a rest I could get some groups that hovered around the 3" range.  Allow me to say that again, please.  At 25 yards, the R9 shot 3" groups with some ammo.  I don't usually get that kind of accuracy wiht full-sized duty auto pistols, much less a pocket-pistol."

The author continues on...

"Then came more enlightenment.  Speer's 124gr Gold Dot HP shot smoothly, gave comfortable recoil and went into 2.5" at 25 yards.  Not once, not twice, but about every time I tried.  This little gun shoots like balls-afire and in all honesty, a head-shot at 25 yards is possible with the right load.  Sitting rabbit at 20 yards?  He's yours.  One my range, lurking at the 75 yard line, stands a man-sized gong, which we often bang-away at.  I was able to hit it about 90-percent or better with the 124gr GDHP, and the only reason I missed was because I missed, not because the pistol couldn't do it.  Simply astounding, if you ask me."

(From Roy Huntington's article in the current American Handgunner magazine).

Note that he DOES state he had feeding issues with truncated-cone-style flat-nosed bullets.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:04 PM »
Thx for extra info Frank .... well, what can one say - impressive!!! :)

Truncated cones ...... hate them!  Never ever had good reliability with those .. even with .45 acp ... no black marks for the gun .... doubt anything likes those too much! :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 10:18:58 PM »
Hmmmm.  Wonder if that was the R9s or the R9?   ::)
It sounds like it will at least be a positive review which is certainly what the Rohrbaugh deserves.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 10:23:41 PM »
It's definitely a  very positive review.

But, when was the last time you read a negative review in a gun magazine?

And in the same issue, Charles Petty has a little review on American Ammunition (AMERC brand), and says how great it is.  "ALthough affordable, it's in actuality a high quality, reliable ammo that performs like the big name brands." ???

I recommend anyone considering this ammo do some searches for info on it on thehighroad.org or 1911forum.com.

(Correction, it's in the "Charles Petty Gunnysack" column, but it states that the AMERC ammo review was by the same author as the R9 review, Roy Huntington).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:32:52 PM by FJC »
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 10:41:11 PM »
Oh-oh!  What!? A-Merc review is good??

Sheesh - leaving aside even my own experience with the stuff ... I have yet to find anyone when I mention it who does not laugh .... loud and long ... it is such a joke.  I really should take a pic or two of typical bullets .. jackets all creased up ....  ::)

I have yet to confirm or otherwise, the absurd low figures I got when I chrono'd the 9mm .... In this table!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 10:49:23 PM »
LOL!  365fps!  Well, you needed one of the double-loaded rounds. :)

I used to sell cleaned/polished brass on Ebay for gun money, until the local range cut a deal with a reloading company for all the brass.  I used to have to specifically cull out the AMERC cases and toss them, and advertise that my brass was AMERC free.  Before I started doing that, I'd get complaints from customers (always made good by sending them extra to make up for it).
--Frank C. (FJC)