Author Topic: Cost question  (Read 4454 times)

Offline harrydog

• Master
Cost question
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:48:35 PM »
There is a dealer about an hour from me who, I discovered, had an R9 stock that I could handle. Took a drive there today. They had put 250 rounds through this gun. After several of the employees had fired it, they had decided to apply a small piece of grip tape to the front strap of the gun. It seemed like a good idea to me, in order to get a better grip on the gun. Has anyone here done that?
Frankly, I was midly surprised at the size of the gun. It was a little larger than I had imagined. It is small of course, but for some reason I had invisioned it as slightly smaller. Compared it to an NAA Guardian .380 and the NAA was a lead anchor in comparison. I wish I could have shot the R9 but no such luck.
Someone had already put down a deposit on this gun. They have had four more on order for awhile, so they should be receiving them fairly soon. BUT...they're selling them for $1,000. My question is, should I look elsewhere to get a better deal? Can I expect to get a significantly better deal?
I'm sure I can get one for less, but I'll probably need to wait at least 6 months. From the dealer above the wait will probably be less than half that.
Also, they said there will soon be a dealer price increase and they'll likely be selling them for $1100 in the near future.  That's too bad. This gun will have a very limited appeal if the price climbs much higher than it already is.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 07:20:07 PM by harrydog »

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: Cost question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:34:39 PM »
Give Eric Rohrbaugh a call and ask him which dealers might have the gun in stock. Then call around and find the best price.  The MSRP is $945 so $1000 is just price gouging.  I heard the dealer price is around $750 (wouldn't that be nice) so that leaves more than a healthy profit.  A good deal on a gun is usually not much higher than 10% over wholesale.  The price should settle down to about $825 once the supply is fairly steady.  Check these previous posts:
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1088725400
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1088703505
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 09:13:06 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:47:34 PM »
I wondered when this would start.   This is a despicable practice , spawned from greed.  If I was quoted a price like that, I would turn and leave . >:(

Anyone remember the $1200 Seecamps?  A lot of people paid it.

I know that some will say it's the Gun Dealers *RIGHT* to get the most they can, because of the high demand and short supply, but I think it STINKS!  

Edited to add ,   Seecamp was not the gouger with the $1200  guns,  here again, it was the Scalpers
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 07:53:26 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 08:43:32 PM »
harrydog:

RJ says it well.  I would advise you to treat the scalpers the same way you would treat a case of the plague . . . walk away, call Eric, place an order, and have him ship your Rohrbaugh to a reputable FFL of your selection.  It will take a few months, but you will have a weapon which was made for you.  A lot of us who have the earliest SNs waited for two years.

Good luck.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 09:57:48 PM »
I thought it was price gouging as well since I didn't recall hearing of anyone who had paid more than about $900 so far. Has anyone heard that the dealer cost will be going up soon, or are they lying about that? I've now found two dealers in this same general area who are selling high demand guns (like Wilsons) for above MSRP. I might call and speak to the owner (he's out of town this week) about the price he is charging and remind him that it is $100 to $175 above what most others are selling them for. I think it's good for him to know that there are informed buyers out there. Unfortunately, I live in an area where there are no really good dealers. I've resorted to buying my guns from a great online dealer and I just emailed them for a quote.
One good thing did come out of it though. I at least I got to handle one before placing my order.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 03:01:14 AM »
Seems like obvious ''price-jacking'' - and whilst at times in past I have paid a bit over - because of ''want'' factor - this case is well outside what is acceptable IMO.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 03:27:27 AM »
Hi Harrydog,

There is no way I would pay a scalper $1000 for a Rohrbaugh when the suggested retail is $945. I also haven't heard of any price increase. A long, long time ago when I was in the wholesale end of the gun business I use to hear some dealers tell walk in customers all kinds of lies to justify their high prices. My favorite was that identical guns that their competition was selling for less were factory seconds. There is a sucker born every minute and a lot of people believed it.

I ordered my gun directly from Eric Rohrbaugh after I talked to him extensively at the Pittsburgh NRA Convention. If you don't want to wait as long as I have, and I am still waiting, I would recommend Erik Chaffee who is one of the dealers listed on the Rohrbaugh web site. I know that Erik Chaffee has several of the guns on order and/or in stock. Erik Chaffee has always been more than fair in his dealings with me. He is also a personal friend of Ron Graham's, which to me says a lot.

Good Luck,

Frank Burke

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 01:10:08 PM »
I got mine at $945 tax included which breaks down to $875 which I thought was fair.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 02:36:34 PM »
I am not aware of any pending dealer cost increase.  I can ask Eric.  I do know there was an introductory SHOT show price that was about $50 under current dealer cost.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 11:21:11 PM »
Does that mean you paid around $700 Duane?   ;)
You should have gotten it for free.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 11:34:34 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 11:32:01 PM »
 :-X
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com