Author Topic: Gun Shop gripe  (Read 3628 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Gun Shop gripe
« on: July 22, 2004, 08:02:40 AM »
How many gun shops have you been in that made you feel comfortable about asking to asking to examine a gun, if you have just examined another in the same visit?  I used to visit a Shop nearby, but no more, for that reason.  I pointed out to the owner, that a gun is not always sold on the first *look over*.  Also, at that shop, I was offered a very good deal on a S&W mod.60.  I just about bought it right then, but thought better of it.   Something was wrong,  upon examination, I find the Star was broken at one stage, and would not index to the next stage..  He would have said it was *as is* had I bought it, and brought it back..   *Buyer beware* , there is a *Lawyer term* for that as well...
RJ=

Offline FJC

• Expert
Re: Gun Shop gripe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:13:18 AM »
I've encountered that at many gun shops.  I'm not sure why so many gun shops adopt that attitude.  Heck there's one shop in this area that I used to go to now and then because they had the best selection of a particular maker's pistols.  I'd walk in there and have to practically beg someone to see a pistol, and it was as if they were doing me a big favor.  One time while in there, a woman was in asking basic questions.  She was obviously new to firearms, but serious about looking at and buying one (and obviously for concealed carry).  The so-called salesmen were literally LAUGHING at some of her newbie questions.  She finally gave up and walked out.

That same store/range now has a sign up at the door that they do not allow concealed carry inside.  I've refused to walk into there at all now.  

I have no idea how they stay in business...

Fortunately the shop near me is much better, with helpful employees/owners.  They get a chunk of my business just for that reason (and they have a nice range, too).  I do most of my gun purchases through another member of this board, though, who bends over backward to look up oddball configurations of pistols I'm looking for, and never complains about it (to my face, at least). :)
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 05:39:14 PM »
Gotta agree with your gripe here RJ.

It wasn't too terribly long ago that I was purchasing my first handgun.  Some people made me feel down right unconfortable examining the guns and asking lots of questions about them.

Luckily, I found a great shop near my home that was very helpful in educating me in my decisions.  Fortunately, they have some of the best prices as well.  Kind of goes hand in hand with being a good businessman, I suppose....the ethics part I mean.

If I pick up this type of attitude in a shop, I usually leave and never come back to their place of business.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 06:40:10 PM »
RJ:

That lawyer term you mentioned is, "caveat emptor" -- let the buyer beware.

I know what you mean by some of those gun shop owners and their sales personnel with "attitude."  Fortunately, there is a shop in my hometown which does it all right.  If you even look as if you're interested in a particular gun, it's out of the case and on the counter for you to examine.  The owner is an accomplished gunsmith, the sales personnel are usually off-duty LEOs, and the coffee and conversation are free.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 06:58:35 PM »
By gosh RJ .. with you 100%!  I have been fortunate to only find one of these places .... and like most wonder how in heck they stay in business .. they deserve to go down the pan IMO.  I feel actually like going out of my way to badmouth them out of business cos they so richly don't deserve it!!

I am fortunate .... my most local guy - who is a gem doing so many transfers for me over time (a mere $10 too!!) ..... he listens, and he is willing to assist where he can.  If he doesn't know a matter - he will look up or ask.  More often than not I am the one he asks!  Not that I know it all by a mile ... but sometimes it helps out.  He also orders anything required, because he doesn't keep a huge inventory - which is no prob' to me.

I find honesty (and by default - integrity too) a mandatory requirement - meaning .. honesty if not knowing things .. honesty with description of a gun .... and particularly, honesty when ''advising'' ...... nothing worse than folks after first gun (for carry in particular) getting ill adviced.  I have suggested to him now - particularly since I got my NRA certifications ... that if in doubt with a newbie . get em to give me a call .... it sure helped one not too long ago.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 10:49:18 PM »
R9SCarry,

I wholeheartedly agree with you that honesty and integrity are critical factors for a business.  Oftentimes it's readily apparent to the observer that something is askew, but other times you may have to scratch the surface just a bit for it to be revealed.  There are definitely some slick operators out there!  :o
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 02:27:29 PM »
What drives me nuts is when you go to a gun shop and ask if they have a specific firearm, but instead of giving you an answer, they want to show you another firearm in their show case. When you push them they respond like you are nuts in having an interest in whatever handgun you wanted to see in the first place.

Once I went in to see a S&W revolver (I can't remember which) and even though they had S&W revolvers, all they wanted to show me was a Taurus.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 05:43:35 PM »
I guess like many sales people they are trying to move certain merchandise.  When it comes to firearms that can be dangerous.  The worse case I ever witnessed was a young lady looking for her first CCW handgun.  She asked the salesman's advice and without hesitation he showed her a Kimber 1911 (3" barrel).  Who do you think he was looking out for?