Author Topic: To Justin2992  (Read 4287 times)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
To Justin2992
« on: July 25, 2004, 11:40:53 PM »
Justin, got your email but when I replied your return address did not work. Anyway, you noted we each have new R9S with close serial #'s and asked if I had noticed any imperfections in frame finish.  Only thing I notice is a faint band across middle of backstrap where finish is slightly different shade. I asume you had some problem you were referring to, is that it?

Offline shelb

• Expert
Re: To Justin2992
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 12:13:11 AM »
I hope you don't mind me hopping in here in the thread, but I may be of some assistance as my serial is close to both of yours as well.  I have not noticed any defects, what specifically are you referring to?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 12:15:29 AM by shelb »

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 01:12:30 AM »
Jim, it's not a big deal that's why I sent you a private message instead of starting a post.  I checked and see that I have the faint band you are referring to across the backstrap.  I didn't notice it before actually.  The one I got also has a small gold colored spec on the bottom rearmost edge of the backstrap. Also a tiny scuff on the edge below the hammer and a tiny gouge on the left side of the frame just in front of the trigger guard.  I also noticed the contours on the dust cover area around the recoil guide rod are a little more rounded on the right side compared to the left.  The gray finish also looks a little grainy all over in certain lighting.  One of the grip panels has some tiny tiny air bubble pitting.  I haven't field stripped it yet so I can't comment on the inside.  Just to let everyone know I'm being really picky here and don't plan on sending it back to Rohrbaugh. Overall I'm very pleased with how it looks and feels.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 01:28:32 AM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 08:07:30 AM »
Can you post pictures of these things?  I'd be interested in seeing them.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 09:08:18 AM »
Justin, hope you didn't mind I posted this...I just didn't know how else to reply to you in private email.  Anyway, I understand your question and curiosity,and I, like you, am very happy with R0S. So, I am sure no one here will read this as any kind of "bashing".  Looking at the finish on the frame again, I do not see the minor flaws you are referring to, but I do notice other "band" areas where finish is slightly different shade in a very defined "band" type of pattern. Not sure why this is, and, like you, it doesn't bother me, and it is very faint and only noticeable on close examination in bright light. More a curiosity as to why it is there than anything else.  Anyway, hope you are enjoying your new pistol as much as I am. Take care.

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 09:11:32 AM »
FJC...I will try and post pictures tonight of "band" on backstrap I am referring to. Not sure it will even show up in picture though.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 10:41:56 AM »
Jim ...... guess what?!  I had never thought to look for or even notice a ''band'' .... but dang it .... I have one!!

I have the silver frame (32x) .. and - dependent on lighting etc .. can see a band approx 3/8 wide - but ONLY under certain lighting ..... it is like a hologram  - move it this way or that and it's gone.  When present it is very subtle and in order to get a pic, had to radically under-expose or it won't show.  So - one under-exposed pic comin up!!

It is however of pure academic interest for me .... it bothers me not at all.  Pure conjecture as to how or why it is there ... so far no ideas other than the result perhaps of pressure whilst in soft jaws for a process .... but considering I'd never seen it till now - no biggie at all. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now also - notice a faint vertical band running all ways up left side ...... quite narrow.  Again had never noticed it.  I think the surface on the frame is probably very susceptible to minor artifacts .... extrememly hard to prevent.  Again - it gives me no cause for concern whatsoever.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 10:45:38 AM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 11:20:46 AM »
   I realize all who have posted here are just discussing a minor cosmetic characteristic of their individual weapon.  And I say the following, as a reason for this characteristic.

Hard anodize is a metal finishing process that is VERY hard to control. It is dependent upon many variables, such as ;
  Chemical temperatures & strengths
  Anode/ diode placement
  DC current level
It is pretty much a shot in the dark and requires a lot experience with that particular product to get it RIGHT.

I'm sure I have left something out, and may be incorrect on a point, but just trying to put some light on just how difficult it is to get this 100%
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 12:07:19 PM »
I think you covered some useful ground there RJ .... indeed, a very tricky process.

I'll reiterate .. from my own POV ..... such miniscule cosmetic factors matter not one jot!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 01:46:01 PM »
Thanks for the picture - that's very interesting.

I wonder if that is more visible on the silver frames, and that's what lead to Rohrbaugh discontinuing them (as I recall, it was listed as an issue with cosmetics of the silver frame).  I wonder what would cause such banding.

Naturally, I'd prefer a pistol of this price to be pristine, but I don't think a band as light as that shown in the picture would be of issue.  Now, if *some* have it but most don't, I can see someone being a little irked. :)  
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 03:36:36 PM »
Again, I don't even consider it a "flaw"...its just a characteristic...the fact that it is in a perfectly symetrical "band" leads me to think it is just the result of some process, not a abherrent flaw such as a scratch or some kind of weird discoloration...bottom line is, its a non-issue as far as evaluating and being happy with the quality of this pistol.  Certainly, no one's decision on whether to buy this gun or not should be affected by this discussion.  Let me say it this way...if you can afford this gun (and can find one)...BUY IT...you won't regret it!!

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 03:41:07 PM »
one more thing though...mine is the gray frame so its not inherent in just the silver.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 03:51:47 PM »
Repetition I know - but reiterating .. remember, I had not noticed this before and ... it most definitely needs light from just right angle or it doesn't show!!  It's that subtle.!!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site