Author Topic: Plus One Grip Extension  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
Plus One Grip Extension
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
Has anyone made a plus one grip extension for the R9?  

Is there one for sale somewhere.  

I'm going to start looking around for one that fits or is adaptable and would appreciate a head start if anyone has given this a try already...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Plus One Grip Extension
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »

Never heard of a plus one for the R9.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »
I don't see how one would work with the heel catch system.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »
I don't see how that could work, either.  Alphonso.  Be happy with this little jewel the way it is!    ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:37:43 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
I don't see how one would work with the heel catch system.

I envisioned a plus one with a little groove for the catch.  The rest of the extension would extend a bit further.   And, as you point out, the catch lever would probably have to be replaced with one that would be more accessible.  

Any engineers on here...get busy... :)
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:21:31 PM »

Not to discourage your vision but that is not likely to happen.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:00:40 PM »
I'll second that, for sure.  I don't think anyone would want to tackle that.   But............who knows.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
If you need more than 7 rounds to neutralize a threat in a self defense situation you are in some serious trouble. Just carry an extra magazine if you feel like you need additional rounds or maybe even a larger capacity pistol. The R9 is already stretched to the limit as it is IMO and it serves its intended purpose very well.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:38:06 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:02 PM »
I'm gonna second that, too.  It was made for a purpose, and is carrying it out in style.  

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:49:10 AM »
Aside from tactical generalizations  ::) what got me thinking about a plus one extension was my recent acquisition of a Kahr P380.  

The Kahr grip is just a tad longer than the R9 and I can get a full two fingers on it.  

I already have an extension for the R9 but was thinking how nice it would be if it actually held an extra round.  
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 02:11:15 AM »
I have already discussed it with the machinist who makes the extensions I sell now and there are other considerations. If the extension was made to provide for another round, the magazine spring would also need to be replaced, the cost for the extension and new spring would probably be in the seventy plus dollar range. There would be a lot more machining for an extension with a recess for the extra round, finding someone to make a small amount of springs, all adds up to more work and cost than most would be willing to pay for. IMO

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 03:39:34 AM »
Yankee,

Thanks for the info.  I'd give $100 for a plus one extension, and would buy at least two.  

Please tell your engineer friend... :)
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:28:12 PM »
put me down for one  8)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
I think you have to want at least two!    ;D