Author Topic: Hi from the New Guy!  (Read 6161 times)

Offline FNFAN

Hi from the New Guy!
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
Normally I'd look around more before posting but the sticky says post so you don't get tagged as a spammer account!

I've been looking at pocket pistols for awhile. Something to replace the airweight Smith that's been my pocket gun for a couple decades. I had been looking at a Keltec 9 and every time I handled one I got the same "meh" feeling regarding the materials and workmanship. Lots of folk are fans of those pistols, but then lotsa folks are fans of Rosie O'Donnel too. I like the Walther PPS but can't quite convince myself its a pocket gun.

I'm here to absorb knowledge and make my decision about which Rohrbaugh to purchase. I'm thinkin' the Stealth but not quite sure.

I need to figure out if all the glitches are worked out of the pistols i.e. slide cracks, spring problems etc as well as what parts should be stockpiled and what buying used vs. new means in terms of warranty.

I really like the upbeat tone of the Forum and will do my best to be a "Good Citizen."

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Hi from the New Guy!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:49 AM »
FNFAN,
  Welcome to the group.
You will have no regrets buying an R9.
    There are no slide issues anymore and springs are not an issue if replaced at the recommended intervals.
Post often and enjoy the fine members and good information on here.

John
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:48:22 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
     FNFAN, I think you'll find all the difference in the world in carrying the R9 as opposed to the Smith. As far as glitches go, the few that appeared have long since been done away with. As a case in point, I have four Rohrbaughs. I have a standard and  a stealth in 9mm and .380. The only "glitch" I encountered was when I tried to fire some hard primer Critical Defense in my first 9mm. So welcome to Rohrbaugh Land post often and enjoy us as we will you.    Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
FNFAN.  Welcome to the Forum.  PM Tom Watson of the Irish Guard, a sponsor and member, here on the Forum. He can answer your questions and help you get the Rohrbaugh you decide on.  Again, welcome.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »
FNFAN:

Welcome to the website of what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol yet designed. I began pocket carry back in the 1960's with a Walther PPK. Next was a Colt Mustang. Then came the NAA Guardians (and a flirtation with a Seecamp .32 which was promptly requisitioned by by wife as her own "hideout gun.") Then in 2002 I discovered the prototype Rohrbaugh R9 at SHOT 2002, ordered one sight unseen, and took delivery of R9 No. 132 in May 2004. As "Reinz" has described it in another thread, it is the "Holy Grail" of pocket pistols. Other pocket pistols will get the job done. However, to change metaphors, why drive an "econobox" when you can drive a Ferrari?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:35:24 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:45 PM »
FNFAN.  I should mention that when you get one R9, you just may want another.  Now this doesn't happen to all, but does happen to some; yes, myself included.  Wishing you the best in your decision to purchase the R9.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 01:13:08 AM »
Welcome to forum FNFan.

Trust me as a bona fide gun addict and pocket carrier for over 30 years, the Rohrbaugh is THE best pocket rocket on the planet.

It don't get better!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:30:19 AM »
FNFan, welcome to the forum and enjoy it here. Pm me if I can help you get a R9. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
FNFan,
   To address the Walther PPS portion of your OP, I had one when the first came out and the PPS is a fine slim pistol but is not in my opinion a pocket pistol.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »
FNFAN.  It's been almost two months since your first post.  Chime in here!    :)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 10:37:08 PM »
Yep, don't be shy.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
 ;D

Offline fanlynne

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »
Hey,i am new here,my name is lynne from China,is there anybody from China?

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
lynne,
   I don't believe I have heard of anyone from China but maybe there is.
  Do you have a Rohrbaugh ?

John
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:03:18 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
lynne.  Welcome to the Forum.  There is another Forum member that joined from China but only posted twice.  Again, welcome.