Author Topic: Broomhandle Mauser  (Read 18757 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Broomhandle Mauser
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »

You are welcome. I am glad it worked well for you.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
Was that a Sunbeam Alpine or a TR4 you owned in school?

It was a 1954 TR2 in College:

and a 1964 Alpine GT in Germany (all I could afford on an Army Captain's pay):

I had ordered a TR4, but it was dropped from the truck on delivery in Stuttgart. The dealer had the Alpine on the floor, so I took it instead.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:44:02 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
Ouch, dropping a TR4 from the truck would have made me cry. I settled for a Karmann Ghia in college with a KPH gage; direct from Germany.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »
The Karmann Ghias were superb little automobiles -- a combination Italian design and German engineering.

As for the Alpine, it wasn't as quick as the TRs but it proved to be a great "Fräulein Magnet."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 10:13:13 PM »

Great shots and great stuff. Why are you the only one in your group wearing a tie?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
I was wondering the same thing!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 07:32:18 AM »
Great shots and great stuff. Why are you the only one in your group wearing a tie?

I worked for a U. S. Senator during the day and attended classes at night. My two nere-do-well fraternity brothers shown in the photograph came from "richer stock."  ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »
Well, that explains it.    ;)  Not that it needed explaining.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
The Karmann Ghia I had was two tone; a powder blue body with a navy blue hard top. Standard transmission (of course), great mileage but not a chick magnet.

The greatest chick magnet I ever drove was owned by a wealthy childhood friend who had moved to Arizona. This was in the late 1970's and he let me drive it which I did right to the campus of Arizona State. Talk about beautiful women. Sadly, I could not claim the vehicle as my own.

It was a 1966 Shelby Cobra 427; 500 horsepower, no frills, all business, 110% testosterone
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
It was a 1966 Shelby Cobra 427; 500 horsepower, no frills, all business, 110% testosterone

Whoa!  :o

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
And a double WOW!  WOW!

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »
Yeah; it is a good story and I am grateful I got to drive it. Time and distance have taken their toll and I have lost track of my friend but I remember that he paid $25,000 for it. Value today? Uh, much more.

Earlier in this string I mentioned how I sold some great guns because I was forced to do so when I lost my aerospace job in the mid 1990's. That was a watershed moment as it taught me a great life lesson.

I was "gun poor" and had amassed a lot of credit card debt as I traveled constantly and was living lavishly. When I lost my job I destroyed my credit cards, paid them off and made a commitment, to this day, to live DEBT FREE.

Money is neither the root of all evil nor the proper means to keep score, in my view. I am glad that Shelby Cobras exist but I do not believe I have "failed" if I never own one.

I could not make a similar claim if I never got to own an R9. That, as I would hope many of you would agree, is true failure.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
Yeah; and Mom always liked you best.

Actually, that story is mitigated by the fact that I lost a good job in the mid 1990's. I was an aerospace employee and was "downsized" (I hate that term) along with another 2 million aerospace employees.

In order to meet financial obligations I had to sell guns and, unfortunately, if you want to make money you have to sell the good ones.

I also sold my ASP (no comments please as this is actually a highly customized M39 S&W) and a lot of other guns.

My story is a sad old song: Were it not for the reversal of fortune, I could have kept some great guns that would be worth a small fortune today, even with the present market, softened due to the poor economy.

ACP - boy am I behind  

MOM liked me best- LMAO ;D ;D

I gues the alignment of the planets with our signs affected me as well in the nineties, for I got downsized as well and had to sell off some things....

but an ASP!!!    Oh that hurts, man that really stings ( no pun intended).

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »
Guns I wish I had never sold . . . every da**ed gun I ever sold, particularly one Uzi carbine chambered for .45 ACP --ugly as homemade sin but as reliable as the phases of the moon. We all make mistakes. And don't ask me about automobiles I never should have sold. I'm too old to cry, but it hurts too much to laugh.

Richard - I hurt for you on that one buddy.  I have a 9mm Uzi and it is solid and reliable.
I would love to have a 45, If so, It would be hard to let go.

Reinz

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »

Whoa!  :o

ACP - that is my absolue DREAM CAR!

Back in the 70's when I used to live and breathe street racing, at the time I was racing a '47 Willys Jeep with a Chevy 327 in it.  Everything else was stock, thus it was only quick from 0-70 because it topped out at 70.

Well one night around 1976 maybe, I'm in Denton,TX on University Blvd which was the main drag.  Up beside pulls up this Shelby Cobra.  I had no idea what it was.  We punched it and off it went like a ROCKET!   And it was like I stood on the brakes!  
I didn't have a prayer.
I never found out what that car was until about 10 years later and boy did I feel like an Idiot.
I've wanted one ever since and everytime I see one my heart jumps out of my skin.

Reinz