Author Topic: pepper spray?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
pepper spray?
« on: June 25, 2006, 04:43:16 AM »
Anyone have any familiarity with it?  I had a spoke w. one of the girls working for me, and I was going to get all of them some to carry around...I'd be much happier if they'd all carry instead, but I at least got them to agree to carry the spray.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Jeff58fl

• SemperFi  76-82

Offline glioma

Re: pepper spray?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 07:25:23 PM »
I've also tried Spitfire. It's easy to carry and easy to aim.

http://www.spitfire.us/index.htm

Whatever unit you choose, I would recommend buying some blank cartridges to practice. For example, the Spitfire unit looks as if it might go off inside a pocket or purse, but when you use a blank and actuate the unit, you'll see that it requires more force than you would have thought, but not excessive.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 07:26:32 PM by glioma »

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:35:10 AM »
Whichever brand you get, make sure it is a combination with tear gas and pepper spray.  

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 10:44:10 PM »
Get something that is rated for at least 2 million Scoville Heat Units.  This is critical to ensure effectiveness.

I prefer a cone-shaped spray rather than a stream.  A stream gives about double the range, but the cone shape will ensure that you get some in the attacker's eyes quickly at close range.

I am a big fan of the ASP Key Defender.  It is one of the easiest pepper sprays to carry.  Mine goes in my back pocket.  I bent a clip from a 2-AA mini-Maglight to fit my wife's, so she can clip it to a pocket or inside her waistband.  Neither of us attach our keys to the unit.

A big advantage is that it can be used as a pocket stick/Yawara/Kubotan if you run out of spray or don't have time to open the safety.  In practice sessions with my wife, we found that we had to plan on pounding on the attacker with the device to create the opportunity to open it.  The same could occur with other sprays, but they may not be as well set up for use as an impact weapon.

For people who aren't physically capable of striking, UDAP sprays are a good choice, and also offer the cone-shaped pattern.

Keep in mind that if these ladies aren't 100% committed to their safety, anything that isn't convenient to carry won't be carried.  A smaller unit with less spray that is on their person when they get attacked is more valuable than the larger unit that was left home, or carried in the purse that was ripped away from them early in the fight.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.