Author Topic: Brass Punch  (Read 6226 times)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Brass Punch
« on: July 05, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »
I got a PM asking about my brass pin punch that I bought from Brownells. It seems that it is not so easy to find it on their on-line catalog.

So to help others find the product on-line the information is: Grace USA Brass Pin Punch 1/16; product number 116 BPP.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: Brass Punch
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:15:09 PM »
Brownells is currently out of stock.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 11:46:56 PM »
Hi Justin,

Gosh, some of us predicted this might happen.  :(   Brownells sure didn't expect so many orders for that item. I do have one of their 1/16" brass punches and also a regular steel one from the hardware store.  I don't particularly like the idea of using the steel one on a Rohrbaugh, but I bet it will be done quite a bit by some owners with no real harm done to the pistol.

But, I think if I didn't have the brass punch and couldn't get one within a reasonable length of time what I'd do is fabricate an old fashioned dowel plate, and make a usable punch from a good straight-grained piece of hardwood.  A dowel plate is just a piece of steel, about 1/4" or 3/8" thick, with different sized holes drilled all the way through it.

The idea is that you whittle or split a piece of hardwood down until it is close to the size of the largest hole in the dowel plate, and then drive that piece of wood through successivelu smaller holes with a mallet until you have just the diameter you need.  I used to make dowels for my uncle's cabinet shop that way when I was a kid. It's a more work than going to the store and buying doweling ready made, but by doing it that way you can make any size or type of wood dowel you want.

A good straight-grained piece of hardwood with the right diameter would be just fine for driving out the disassembly pin in the Rohrbaugh for quite a few disassemblies before you'd need to make another, and it would be even gentler on the pin than a brass punch.   ;D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 01:34:28 AM »
9mil - some good thinking there.  I guess much will depend on the particular pin ... mine is very easy to shift and so - a matchstick even will work ..... if tho someone has a slightly tighter one then hardwood might do but -- a brass punch even better.

I reckon over time .. Eric and Co could consider supplying the gun complete with ....

a) Slide hold-open spacer
b) Spare grip screws set
c) Spare set of recoil springs
d) Small 1/16" punch.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 04:59:06 PM »
This should work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Brass Pin Punch Hex Handle, 1/16" Pin Diameter, 5/16" Handle Size
Part # 34255A61
$ 4.91 Each

Offline BillB

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 06:30:39 PM »
Got a email from Brownells today. The punch is now in stock.

Stock #:  354-100-062   1/16" GRACE BRASS PUNCH
   Price:        4.50  Each

Brownells, Inc.
   200 South Front St.
   Montezuma, IA  50171-1000

Phone: 1-800-741-0015  or  (641) 623-4000

Fax: 1-800-264-3068  or  (641) 623-3896

Web:   www.brownells.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 08:12:11 PM »
As one of those who helped to deplete Brownells' stock of 1/16th-inch brass punches, thanks to George's suggestion, I'm glad to know that they have now replenished their supply.  Get 'em while you can.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 09:38:42 PM »
For what it worth -- I try to use Brownells whenever I can.  Never had a bad experience with them.  If you order in the morning, the stuff will go out that day.  They have lightweight shipping rates so you can buy little stuff without getting killed.  Prices are good.  I love them.

In contrast, although I like Dillon too -- they torqued me off pretty good.  Dillon was the ONLY place I could find Bianchi Speedstrips.  I ordered a set (about 2 ounces and $6) and swallowed the $5.99 shipping charge.  At least, I figured, I was getting Priority Mail or something.  Instead, a week or more later, a plain envelope arrived first class mail with something like 48 cents postage on it.  I wrote them, saying that even if the envelope cost 50 cents and I paid someone two bucks to go get it and put it in the envelope, I was still getting screwed.  Their response -- if I bought more items, the overall impact of the shipping charges would be less!  >:(
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com