Author Topic: Tried new ammo  (Read 3669 times)

Offline robertd

Tried new ammo
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »
My R9 shoots Gold Dots well. I've not found Silver Tips but I picked up a 50 round box of Winchesters in a white box at a local shop. They were $24.00 and some change. I don't have the box handy but were marked "Personal Defence" or something on that order. 115 gn. hollow points and not +P. I ran 4 mags. through and had no problems. This may have been covered by another post but I reccomend them highly, anyway.

Offline Wheedum

Re: Tried new ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  IMO, this forum needs a steady diet of these statements regarding ammo.  My R9S is a one bullet gun... Gold Dot 115's.  Anyone new to the R9 should be told to try these or the Silver Tips first, and then just quit shopping.  Sure would help the R9's reputation to not have so many complaints logged against it on account of junk ammo.  

Offline robertd

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »
I've associated white box with discount stores. I wouldn't normally have tried this had not ammo been in short supply and the price had been more than ball ammo. Its use has given me a little more confidence. The only problem I had had with Gold Dot 115 was failure to feed the first round out of the mag. I feel that due to my weak hands. Upon examination, the Win. seems to have a different ogive to the bullet compared to the Speer.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »
Wheedum, good advice.  When I bought my R9s, I asked Forum members what ammo was best.  Answers were 115 gr.  Silvertips and 115 gr. Gold Dots. I stocked up on both in March, 09, and have not used any Gold Dots.  Have not had any hiccups of any kind.  My Silvertips should last for a long while, but should I run out , I do have the Gold Dots.  Other Forum members have had success with other ammo, like robertd, and others like the Golden Sabre, 147 gr.  I, too, have a backorder in for that.

I like the proven success of the Silvertips and Gold Dots and will continue to use what gives my R9 the best performance for the best.  I have no reason to try anything else, but like to have others' proven ammo as backup should ammo just dry up.   :)    :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:59:42 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Wheedum

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
Robertd, I agree that the first round of the Gold Dots is harder to rack by hand than the Silver Tips.  That actually is a "spring thing".  It takes a healthy pull on the slide, which simulates the 9mm recoil.  Good observation.