Author Topic: Is your Dog a Football Fan?  (Read 5035 times)

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
Is your Dog a Football Fan?
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:06:20 PM »
Apparently now one of my dogs has become a Tampa Bay Buc fan.  I had come out of my office to watch a bit of the game this evening.  The refs had just made a penalty call against TB and one of my female dogs started barking and doing a low growl at the TV.  She does the low growl at you when she’s not happy with you. (She had been lying on the floor in front of the TV watching the antics.)  Makes me wonder some days just how “humanistic” my dogs have become.

I have four dogs – all humane society rescue types – one male and three females.  They’re quite the “crew” let me tell you.  This is the first time I’ve had more than one dog in my family, and I will forever have at least two from this point forward.

What kind of pet(s) do you have?
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Is your Dog a Football Fan?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 10:35:46 PM »
K-Man:

I used to own a Hungarian Vizsla like that.  She is now gone.  To paraphrase the words of the Sammy Davis song, "Bo Jangles" -- After twenty years, I still grieve.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 10:37:42 PM »
My dogs seem to love to watch TV as well.  Every time my Alaskan Malamute hears a bird on TV, he goes nuts  ;D

We are a four dog family as well  :D
Hope you don't mind pics....they're like my children  ;D

Kindred - Alaskan Malamute - He's almost 2  :)

Kadence -  Great Pyrenees - 6 weeks old here (5 months old now and 55 pounds  :D)

Peso & Recee - 3 & 2 year old Chihuahuas

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:04:39 PM »
My dog died last year at 12. But one of his favorite activities was to sit with his butt on the deck and his front paws on a lower step and "watch the outside." He was like a king surveying his kingdom. He could sit like that for hours. In bad weather when he was inside, he would sit at the window and do the same thing. It was like watching paint, but for him he was as focused on his kingdom like a football fan would be while watching the Super Bowl.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »
 We had an Alaskan Malamute a few years back.  Her name was Loki,  she made a big warm spot in all our lives, and will never be forgotten.  

This, I remember......
 I had left $100, in twenties, folded and sitting on the table beside my chair.  The next day, as I thought to recover the money,  it was gone.  In looking around for the money, I spotted one bill across the room, all wadded up and full of holes.
 Well, I knew it hadn't been my Wife that did it, she would had spent it, not chewed it.  So, after a few minutes of searching,  I conclude that it must have been attractive to Miss Loki ..

Three days later, watching Loki, I see her trying really hard to do her morning *BM* .   Out comes a strange looking pile,  I work on it with the water hose,  and there it is, my 80 bucks...[this would have never happened had the Wife got it  ;D]
Well, even after a good washing and drying, I still didn't care to have this in my pocket, so I carried to the bank for an exchange.     " This looks like it has been wet!", the bank teller said, as she handed me four crisp twenties.  

I told her, "yes, it has."      :D
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »
Hi RJ:

Gives a new meaning to the phrase: Down the drain... :)

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 10:12:44 AM »
Or at least the phrase, "Passing the Buck."   :o  At least 80 in this instance.   ;D

I had a Malamute about 20 years ago – truly a wonderful dog.  Her first Christmas (at about 7/8 months old) she went after all of the ornament bulbs on the tree.  She would grab it off the tree, crush/bite it, and then drop it.  We found a number of them when we would come home from work.  So, needless to say the tree was a little bare that year with respect to decorations.  
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 10:48:43 AM »
            "Passing the Buck."   DDGator

Now, that was funny !  :D :D :D
RJ=

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 11:32:37 AM »
Loki, that's a great name for a Malamute :)

They are very curious and intelligent dogs that will get into things from time to time.  We try not to leave our Mal during the day with anything we don't mind him dismantling.  ;)  One day when we were gone for a couple hours he discovered that the carpet on the floor wasn't a permanent structure.....  :o

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 12:21:21 PM »
Our Loki loved children, when she saw a child you could not stop her from going to that child.  She had a way of curling her lips to form a smile, showing all her teeth.   It was a scary sight unless you knew she was smiling at you, and all the kids around here knew that.  But every once in a while a strange kid would come by and get the "smile", :o and be really be afraid..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 12:21:47 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 01:37:40 PM »
Ahh, the Malamute smile.....its one of my favorite things.  Kindred loves kid too.  The affinity for kids must be a Malamute thing, cause Kindred absolutely loves them.  Scares the heck out of them and their parents to see a 130 lb furrball coming their way  :D  Of coarse he is harmless......now the Chihuahuas....you gotta watch them....they're mean.

Did Loki 'talk' much?  Kindred is always 'wooo' 'woo'-ing.....but rarely ever barks or growls....its the oddest thing.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 01:56:15 PM »
Talk ??   You should have heard her when she visited the Vet, you couldn't hold her, she would pull from your hands and go all through the *examanation rooms* looking for the Doctors ,  just a Howling !! Then be smileing when she found them.

And when you wanted her to do something she didn't want to,  she would argue with you [howl] ..

Have more stories, but must stop now..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 02:19:51 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 02:13:45 PM »
Gosh, I love Malamutes...independent and full or personality.

I am sorry for yours and others loss of their canine companions.  Thank you so much for sharing the stories, I really enjoyed them.