Author Topic: Knife fans?  (Read 4795 times)

Offline shelb

• Expert
Knife fans?
« on: August 19, 2004, 10:02:01 PM »
Any knife fans here?  Way I figure, fine knives kinda go hand in hand with a fine weapon like a Rohrbaugh.

I wanted to share my excitement, cause I ordered my first Randall Made Knife today  :)

Somewhere, there is a model 5 with my name on it.  I'll post back in 4 years when I get it   :o :D

I have been lusting for one of these legendary blades most my young adult life.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Knife fans?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 10:19:40 PM »
I like knives and have owned a few expensive ones from time to time, but often trade them.

My nicest knife right now is a Kershaw Ken Onion "Random Leek" -- it is a special lmited run Leek in SV30 with the boron black finish and reverse tanto blade.  It also has the speed safe open.  Its a very cool knife.

I would really like a CRK Sebenza... but I would probably have to sell a gun to afford one.

K-Man actually makes custom knives.  He is working on one for me that will have blue carbon fiber scales (courtesy of the Rohrbaughs) to match my R-9.  I will post pics when he finishes it...  (Hint, Hint!)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:21:21 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:32:01 PM »
Shelb:

Yo!  More later.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 10:34:38 PM »
Re: KMan knife...
Ooohhhhh, can't wait to see it!!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:35:33 PM by shelb »

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 10:41:02 PM »
What blade do you guys carry with your Rohrbaughs?

Recently, I have been carrying a Benchmade Benchmite 3100.  It's a great little knife.....small and sharp!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 11:10:22 PM »
I am also in the camp whereby ... the knife is ''all the time'' carry --- and is a complement to one's carry piece.  It is required more for a multitude of utilitarian uses .. as well as being a back-up defensive tool.

I probably have more Chinese folders than I can shake a stick at - and surprisingly one or two of those are well better than expected.  I also had had for some time a Camillus bladed knife as a gift from Buckmasters .. a basic, not very pretty handled knife - but a serviceable blade.

However ... some while back a guy was selling his Buck Mayo TNT .. titanium handle ... and excellent quality blade.  He described it as ''scary sharp'' - it is ... and remains so!!  It's a $300 knife .. for which I paid $200 . It was perfect and all but unused.  A lot to pay I agree but - I have enormous faith in this blade ... and it is a comfortable and constant companion... clipped into left pocket when R9 is in right.  A small Chinese does harsh duty on packages when needed and that lives actually within left pocket.

There is something about a good blade .......... and I do not regret my rather profligate expenditure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quite forgot to add .. I took this fresh pic of this knife and .... hauled it out of my pocket and took pic ..... but was aware later that it is full of lint!!  Some I removed but - some is still there! :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:12:19 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 11:49:41 PM »
Here are my "close quarters" tools.  The Random Leek described above and an NAA .22 Mag Mini-Revolver in a natty new K&D Holsters Pocket Defender.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 12:29:12 AM »
Duane - that lil revo just has to deserve the word ''cute'' ...... no disrespect to the lil fella!! :)  

I had forgotten just how diminutive it was.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 12:51:49 AM »
Hehe, the knife is bigger than the gun  :)

I guess if the R9S is your primary carry, you can't very well have a backup piece that is bigger than the primary  :D

I like it though!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 10:02:07 AM »
Yep the gun is small and cute.  Well... cute unless you are looking down the barrel end and seing 4 more shiny jacketed TNT hollow points peeking out of each cylinder.  Then... not as cute.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 01:59:59 PM »
I'm also a knife fan.

I've had some training in both disarming knife-wielding opponents, and in use of a knife (based on systems from the Philippines).  The combination of both makes me more afraid to try disarming a knife-wielding opponent than I would be disarming a gun-wielding opponent.

Lately I am gravitating towards mid-priced offerings.  I want more durability than the cheap knockoffs, but many of the $150+ priced blades aren't so much better that they are worth the extra cost, unless they have some very unique advantage (extra-good carry system, etc.).  My favorite is a Cold Steel Recon 1 (half-serrated spear point), or when I need something smaller, a Benchmade Griptillian or Mini-Griptillian.  Cold Steel's "Proof' and "More Proof" videos are a must-see, although "More Proof is unnecessarily long.  I'm looking at the Spyderco Dodo for when an even smaller blade is called for.

I avoid most liner locks like the plague.  I've had some expensive ones wear out quickly.  I have some acquaintances who have had waved Emerson knives converted by other knifemakers to frame locks.

For fixed blades, Mickey Yurco makes some of the best and most reasonably priced I have seen.  He also has a good feel for truly practical sheaths.  Bud Nealy's MCS sheath system is also really nice, and his Pesh Kabz was my first "custom" knife.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 05:35:13 PM »

Have this and an old Crawford,I can't find right this minute  :-[

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 05:37:11 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=