Author Topic: Crimp in my style...  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Crimp in my style...
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »
Hi Guys!

I'm a long time lister, and apologize for my absence. I hope you all have been well!

I got a bunch of new toys from the Blade Show, which I will post pix of here soon, along with a new R9S Stealth that came on the day I moved into the Blade Show (but that's another story!). Anyway, I've just settled down after the show and started to get acquainted with my new Stealth.

I cycled through a couple of mags, to get a feel for the new recoil and mag springs and as I was reloading the mags, I noticed that nearly every one of the bullet casings was dented. I used both magazines, and when I pulled out the last one, I noticed the round at the top of the mag was dented, as though the mag spring was so powerful, that it forced the bullet too hard into the firing chamber, and thus denting the "top" of the casing as it fed into the chamber.

I tried to do a search on this forum, but got no matches. Anyone else have this happen and is it a problem (I think the answer might be "yes".)

Luckily I have my trusty Number 1 still at the beck and call. If I have to send the Stealth back, I'll still be covered, which is why I bought it in the first place! Everyone needs two R9's, I would think ;D

BTW-I haven't even had a chance to fire the Stealth, so I wouldn't know if the dents interfere with proper operation.

TIA!

And I hope to contribute more in the future!

Calvin Cooledge
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Crimp in my style...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:42:20 PM »
CC:
There have been posts on cases being dented dating back over a year, but I couldn't find them either.  As I recall the conclusions though, it was agreed that manually cycling rounds thru the gun did dent the cartridge cases.
That's why I stopped unloading my 1995-built R9S every night, and I always make sure to fire the few dented rounds during practice.

When I put the new magazine springs in my mags, I noticed that any rounds cycled thru the gun really get dented.  I wasn't too surprised at the dents because when I racked the slide with the new, longer mag springs I found it took a lot stronger grip to hang onto the slide.

The upside is since switching the mag springs, my R9S became 100% reliable.  Before the switch, I was considering sending thegun back to Rohrbaugh.  (I've also noticed the newest batch of recoil springs are 'stronger'.)

Steve  

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 09:48:43 PM »
Thanks, Steve! That's what I thought. I called and spoke with Maria today and she said the same thing! Also something about a .45...

Steve, uh, Calvin...

CC:
There have been posts on cases being dented dating back over a year, but I couldn't find them either.  As I recall the conclusions though, it was agreed that manually cycling rounds thru the gun did dent the cartridge cases.
That's why I stopped unloading my 1995-built R9S every night, and I always make sure to fire the few dented rounds during practice.

When I put the new magazine springs in my mags, I noticed that any rounds cycled thru the gun really get dented.  I wasn't too surprised at the dents because when I racked the slide with the new, longer mag springs I found it took a lot stronger grip to hang onto the slide.

The upside is since switching the mag springs, my R9S became 100% reliable.  Before the switch, I was considering sending thegun back to Rohrbaugh.  (I've also noticed the newest batch of recoil springs are 'stronger'.)

Steve  

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:02:07 AM »
Say What? Are you saying that Maria said something about a R45?
I'm in!
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »
R45 coming next year at the Shot Show ;D  Hi Calvin, good seeing you here again. Tom
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:12:49 AM by theirishguard »
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:03:29 PM »
Say What? Are you saying that Maria said something about a R45?
I'm in!

Was I that obvious? 8)

I almost freaked out! I'm sure there are hurdles yet to be overcome, but it should be an exciting project! I can't wait either!

Damn OCD!  ;D

BTW-the son said he wants to learn to shoot. Off to the range tomorrow!

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 01:29:07 AM »
Cycling,IMO,does' not make much of a difference,in firing performance that is..

As long as that sucker goes' off when the trigger is pulled,and functions fine,that's when it matters.. :)

Next time I shoot the pup,I will take a look at the casings on the ground.. ;D

I know my Glock put's a helluva dent in the casings..After firing.. ;)

Good Lord,.45 Pup?? Can't happen in the same pkg. ;) ::)

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:17:49 AM »
I can't wait to get my hands on a Rohrbaugh .45!   I'm wearing out my Gripmaster to get my aging hands in shape for its arrival.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
I wonder what size it's gonna be.  Who was it?  AMT? made a SS pocket 45 DAO some years ago.  I shot one of those and though it had some feeding issues with plain ball ammo, recoil was very managable.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
As I remember it will be about 1/3 larger than the pup. Also don't forget the .380 coming this summer.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »
Good things are coming.  Should be quite a lineup. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER