Author Topic: Failure to fire  (Read 11885 times)

Offline alligosh

Re: Failure to feed
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 06:34:39 PM »
OK, so second attempt at the range.

50 rounds of Winchester white box had only one round that required a second trigger pull, and all round shot.  Much better than the UMC.

Then I tried Speer gold dot, and I was completely dissappointed that every other round required a second trigger pull. Isn't that stuff on the recommended list?

I guess I'll have to try the silvertip next.

Is this really an r9 pickiness?  I have had multiple people tell me to send it back to Rohrbaugh to have the hammer spring checked.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
This problem definitely sounds equipment and not ammo
related.
You shouldn't be required to make second trigger pulls on any-
thing. I would call Rohrbaugh or just send it back.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
call Rohrbaugh first and go over the problem.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »
I'm not sure whether this R9 was purchased new or used, but before doing anything else I would field strip it, give it a thorough clean and lube, and flush out the firing pin assembly area with a light lubricant such as Ballistol dispensed from an aerosol can using a precision applicator tube. There may be some "dreck" which has accumulated there.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline M14-68

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
So I bought my Rohrbaugh R9S today.  Very nice gun.

I took it into the range.  Very Excited.

I shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC through it, and by the end of it I was flinching at every shot because every third shot didn't fire (at all).  I would try a second pull of the trigger, and still nothing.  So I eject it and go on to the next, which may or may not fire.  The non-fired rounds had a small, but very light, mark where the firing pin hit them, but were obviously not fired.  I put them in my Glock, and every one of them fired fine.

The guys at the range tell me that the UMC is a very hard primer, so I shot 50 rounds of reloads they had, and most of them fired.  They keyholed very badly, but they fired.

Then I put 20 rounds of PMC Starfire HP through it, and every single one fired without a problem.

Question is: Is this normal?

?

-Steve

I had the very same issue with the same ammo but in 380ACP in my Ruger LCP. Went back to Win white box for range work and loaded with Hornady TAP for carry.
Concealment is not always cover.

Offline alligosh

Re: Failure to fire
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
OK, so after all the issues I have had with the pup, I sent it back to Rohrbaugh to check it out.  They had it for about two weeks, which is not bad at all, and said they only found a very small burr inside the firing pin assembly, but they had removed it and it test fired for them.

So I took it to the range again.

This time, one night have said that it was better, but just barely.

Everything fired this time, but about half of the "good" ammo required a second trigger pull, with the least expensive ammo working fairly well.  I tried 12 of the Gold Dot 124gr, 12 of the Hornady TAP (which also didn't feed very well), 12 of the PMC Starfire, and about 50 rounds of the Winchester White box.

The WWB fired most of the rounds on the first pull.  The other three all required a second pull on every other shot.

Needless to say, I am less than pleased, and still don't think that this is a reliable firearm.  Add to that $75 every time I try to send it back to Rohrbaugh, and this little gun is getting WAY too expensive for something I can't even carry.

I am completely disappointed.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »
Did you buy this pistol new or used?  Have you called Rohrbaugh since the second range test?  Tom

Offline alligosh

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
I got it brand new, registered it with Rohrbaugh, serial 28xx.  I have not called them again due to being out of town a bunch.

I hesitate to call again, since the only outcome will be to send it again, and I am already into this more money than my agreement with the wife will bear.

Guess there's no helping it; I need to call.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »
alligosh, I know it's a pain but take a deep breath and call Maria at Rohrbaugh, go over the problems with her and tell her what you just told us and get it running.  Tom

Offline alligosh

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 10:48:01 PM »
So I had a nice talk with Karl Rohrbaugh this morning.  He suggested that I try a couple different kinds of ammo, plus a different cleaner / lubricant.

I have to admire a company that the lead engineer / owner is willing to talk to me when I have issues with a product.

Anyway, in case anyone cares, here are the recommendations.  It will be a few weeks or so before I can try them all, but I will eventually post results.

He suggested that for the range I try American Eagle 115gr, as  that is what he has been testing with lately.

He also suggested for a carry ammo that I try a new ammo that Corbon is releasing in about three weeks, specifically designed for the R9.  It is a version of their DPX, an 80 gr fully brass round (no lead) using the winchester primers.  It is supposed to have a muzzle velocity of 1300 ft/sec, but reduces the pressure from a standard 35000 PSI to a lower 27000 PSI, meaning less kick in the R9, but because it is a fully brass round has the advantage of still being a a 14 inch penetration.

I am defiantly going to buy a box when available and try it out.

He also strongly suggested the Hornady One Shot cleaner / Lubricant, which means I will be getting a can of that as well.

Wish me luck.

Offline andyzx6r

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 06:21:29 AM »
Wow a Corbon specially designed for the R9!  That is fairly big news.  Did he specify the name to look for so that when it is released I will certainly try it out?

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »
Good info. Thanks for posting.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »
it would be nice to get more info on that Corbon round.  Tom

Offline JHawk

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
it would be nice to get more info on that Corbon round.  Tom
I have a message into Corbon on this through another Forum I frequent.  Will let you all know as soon as they get back to me.