Author Topic: First Range Report  (Read 17127 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: First Range Report
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »
I have a little bit of soreness in the web of my shooting hand for firing just 50 rounds last night.  It's not major and I don't notice it when I'm busy doing things, I'm sure it will be gone by tomorrow, but the little R9 lets me know I've been shooting it.

If I could just find a way to bypass the laws of physics my life would improve in so many ways, but unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to do that.

The same factors that make this pistol so concealable and comfortable to carry present difficulties in shooting it.

But probably if I find myself in the middle of an attempted car jacking while I'm fueling my vehicle, or the intended victim of a mugging, I won't be thinking about whether or not the R9 is a joy to shoot at the range.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:24:27 PM by C0untZer0 »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
Doc - since the R9 is usually not your first handgun, and one of impecable taste; same goes for the P7 and hence you have a following of connoisseurs on this site as well.

While the great Col. Jeff Cooper thought the CZ 75 was the best fighting 9mm,  I, with others have to disagree.  The P7 squeeze cocker is very ergonomic, fewer controls due to the squeeze cocker; no safety, no slide release.  Inherently accurate due to the fixed barrel.

While the squeeze cocker may feel awkwark to some, it is pure natural to me and it's followers.  It takes roughly 12-15 lbs of force to squeeze the cocker to cock the gun.  However, keep in mind that you are using your whole grip, NOT just your trigger finger.  Then once depressed, it only takes 2 lbs of force to keep it depressed.  You don' t even notice it because of your natural grip.  But it does freak some guys out.

No safety needed - it's on safe until you cock it. Release your grip, it's back on safe.

Talk about speed loads - after last round is fired, the slide locks back.  Drop your mag, insert a new one, depress the cocker and down goes the slide!  No need for a slide release.  A true one-handed gun operation...after mag insertion.

The down sides -

Costs and availability  -  Supplies dry up, then some will show up.   Euro- heel mag latch, like he R9 have been bringing $600-$800, depending.   With the American mag release, they start at about $1200 for single stacks.

The other down side is they heat up fast. You really can't go ape like a 22 yr old with his first auto pistol.  If you do 3 - 4 mags rapid fire, the frame will get hot aroung the trigger gaurd area and is quite uncomfortable to hold.  You will have to let it cool for about 10 min before firing, depending upon weather conditions.  HK introduced a plastic "heat gaurd" on the trigger gaurd area which was a total joke.

There's more, but that's it in a nutshell.  I'm sure Richard will "show and tell" his fine works of art and maybe Thor.

This is similar to one of mine.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
Some people have criticised the pressure for holding the squeeze cocker - but that's nonsense, its less pressure than you would exert just to have a good grip on any pistol.

It completely solves the problem of either having a nice trigger - but having to carry cocked and locked and aving to deactivate a safety mechanism, verses having a less than optimum trigger.

Here I'm holding the squeeze cocker with only my ring finger - my weak hand no less:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:02:06 PM by C0untZer0 »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
There's more, but that's it in a nutshell.  I'm sure Richard will "show and tell" his fine works of art and maybe Thor.

Aww, shucks, Reinz:  ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
To C0untZer0: Your grip is almost the same as mine, but I hold my weak hand a little higher and my index finger across the trigger guard and around to cover my trigger finger. Yes, this contradicts all that is said about extending your trigger finger until you are ready to shoot, then place it on the trigger. My instructor has told me that: this is the best way I will get control of the recoil with the Rohrbaugh with the size of my hands AND you should/will never, ever, draw this firearm unless you are in imminent danger AND with the long double action trigger you will need a deliberate effort to fire. I would never use this grip with a 1911.
As far as the P7, I understand it was Hans Gruber's weapon of choice. I will have to watch the movie again.  ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »

The best and one of the most accurate full sized 9 mm. on the planet. Grab one when you have the opportunity.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Hey.  What was that bout q-tips? I thought they were the best thing since dental floss.  I always use q-tips.  How else are you going to get at those hard to reach places, and what would you use for properly applying oil to the frame rails?  Come on, How do you properly clean a gun without q-tips?
  The gun grabbers could probably just outlaw q-tips, and we would all have to use our finely made firearms as expensive rocks since they would quickly rust up and jam.
Of course, I would never use dental floss on my guns.  Actually...It might actually be good for cleaning around my new VZ grips.  I'll give it a try and let you know.  Gunjivitis is the silent killer, after all.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
I don't have any problem using q-tips either and have also used pipe cleaners occasionally. One clever forum member suggested using dental floss to separate the R9 grips from the frame if it is too difficult otherwise--whatever works for you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:58:30 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
Richard - I knew I could count on you my freind.  I never get tired of those great P7 Pics!

As far as Q-tips -  I think the problem is the fibers or the "heads" themselves that they can leave behind.  But I am a careful sort.  In fact I buy Q-tips in the handy 600-packs.

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »
Ok guys. Here is what I  use to clean those tough areas in my Rohrbaugh (or any firearm). http://www.pearsondental.com/catalog/product.asp?majcatid=10&catid=4844&subcatid=13545&pid=43272&dpt=0. Hope you can open it. If not, let me know. These bristles are stiff enough to put some force in those tiny areas. With Froglube and a little work, most anything will work free. Then use a small patch of cloth pushed buy a toothpick to "mop" the area clean and dry. Same for applying lube. Sorry. I should have put this post on another Forum, but since it came up...Doc  ;)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »
Those look really slick.  I went to the site and tried to order a couple of boxes, but there was $50 minimum.  At 9.99 a box, I'd have to buy 6, so that's really spending 60 bucks plus shipping.  I don't want start out with 600 of those just to try out at that price.

Thanks for the link though.

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »
Pull out your local Yellow Pages and find a dental supply house, such as Patterson or Sullivan-Schein. They might get you a smaller supply. If I hear of, or find one I will let you know. There is also a company called Centrix that makes the brushes (Bendabrush), plus an awesome product, Benda Micro Applicators. They are a little pricey, but terrific for cleaning. http://www.centrixdentalstore.com/products/benda-micro-applicators. There is a reason they call me "Doc". PS Call your dentist to see if he/she has some.  ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
Sorry for bringing it up again, but I had to mention this... To Tracker, C0untZer0, etc. a NIB P7M13 is offered for sale on Gun Broker for $4300! Are you kidding me? Convince me it is worth 1/4 as much. I think I'll be looking for a H7K compact 9mm LEM. Doc  :'( PS; I promise I will never mention the p7 again.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »
Hi caps were only made for a short period.  AND this one is new in the box - pretty damn rare!